Pickup suggestions for HBII

Kyloc Armis

Hey everyone. Looking for some opinions here. I have an early 2000s HBII and am looking to change out the stock pickups to something with a little more balls. I play a lot of modern rock and want something high output, just worried about feedback issues. Any suggestions on what will get along with the hollowbody?

Just this weekend I just put BKP Mule's into my HB ii to replace the 5909's, but following along to see what others might have used/suggest.

I also was looking for a better rock tone. Dave Grohl / Chris Cheney both have decent hollowbody rock tones.

The mules aren't high output, but I can make it up with amp gain or an od without a problem.

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height, and what pickups do you have now? What strings? What do you dislike about the current setup?
And are you comparing the sound to another guitar you own?

I replaced the originals with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage. I thought they were a great match and much closer to the 57/08s in a friend's. Great VINTAGE tone in my opinion, but not a real high output option.

Just this weekend I just put BKP Mule's into my HB ii to replace the 5909's, but following along to see what others might have used/suggest.

I also was looking for a better rock tone. Dave Grohl / Chris Cheney both have decent hollowbody rock tones.

The mules aren't high output, but I can make it up with amp gain or an od without a problem.

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height, and what pickups do you have now? What strings? What do you dislike about the current setup?
And are you comparing the sound to another guitar you own?
I' currently running it half step down with 12's and a wound G. The wound G is essential as I use the piezo a lot before going into a modern rock tone. I find the wound G muddied my tone and feel a higher output pickup would help alleviate that. The pickups in it I think are the old archtop pickups they used to use in them. At least I think thatsbwhat they are. Either that or some sort of mccarty pickups.

You can contact any winders to get specifically what you want. Try rewind, wolfetone, sheptone, or others. They can also give you good advice on how to get what you are looking for.

I gave my BKP equipped hollowbody ii a run last night and loved it. I'm much happier than I was with the 59/09 pair that was stock.

Overall it doesn't quite seem to have the clarity of my c22 with 58/15's, but the sound is very warm and full as might be expected from a hollow guitar.
I still had no problem being heard when needed though, so it's far from muddy.

They make a great pair that's for sure :)

Back