Pickup replacements for PRS 305 or humbucker route?

Erik.PRS

Thinking about either routing the bridge for a humbucker or replacing pickup. Has anyone tired any aftermarket pickups that fit with very little modification? Seymour duncan classic stack,lil jb,lil 59?

I think you'd be okay as long as you get a pickup that doesn't have the "ear" on the base. Check the measurements of the cavities and any pickup you're considering to be sure.

Found someone who did a swap, with documentation: http://djesmusic.com/mods/prs305_mod.html

As you can see, the standard Fender pickups had to be modified, but shouldn't be a problem with the Lil '59. One thing I'd do differently would be to use a piece of foam under the pickup and shorter wood screws. Would be easier to mount and would look better IMO.

Installed a Seymour Duncan lil 59 last night. Had to make an extra screw hole and get shorter screws and springs but sat in pickup route nicely. Think I'm gonna go ahead with a full humbuckers route. Lil 59 sounded too thin and harsh. Messed with pickup heights and just couldn't get it sounding good so pulled it out. What full size humbucker would you guys recommend to work well with the 305 pickups. The 305 pickups I have ohm reading is around 6.4.

Back