Pickup Qs for 08 Singlecut SE

hord1080

Hello all

I have a Singlecut SE and want to add a Tremonti treble and SD 59 neck. My guitar only has one volume and one tone knob and 3 way switch. The original pickups were really muddy and added a SD Duncan distortion which helped. Still not sure if need to upgrade wiring and or pots or if it's just the guitar being lower end cost wise. Couple questions:.

Can I get a new tone knob that coil splits given I only have one knob? How would that work and change the functionality? Best way to wire this up, or point me to a diagram that would work with my setup?

The Tremonti pickup has a braided wire around the other 4. Does this go to ground?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

The pots that are in the SE are decent but CTS post would be better. You can wire up the new pickups with what is in there but you can't get the splits, just the usual 3 positions on the switch. If you want the splits you need a push pull pot on the tone pot. This diagram has the original split that will fit your pot configuration. You will need to replace the tone pot with a push pull.

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/mccarty_2017.pdf

Oh, and your SD 59 in the neck needs to be a 4 wire, not a 2 wire. If it is a 2 wire you will only be able to split the bridge pup.

The pots that are in the SE are decent but CTS post would be better. You can wire up the new pickups with what is in there but you can't get the splits, just the usual 3 positions on the switch. If you want the splits you need a push pull pot on the tone pot. This diagram has the original split that will fit your pot configuration. You will need to replace the tone pot with a push pull.

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/mccarty_2017.pdf

Oh, and your SD 59 in the neck needs to be a 4 wire, not a 2 wire. If it is a 2 wire you will only be able to split the bridge pup.

Thanks! Any recommendations on what push pull tone pot CTS to get for coil tapping and where to buy? Like what K and will fit my knob?

500K Ohms are mostly used for humbuckers. I think all the shafts are the same size but I could be wrong on that.

Back