Pickup Covers

schecky

I currently own an SE Santana with open coil Zebra pickups. I was wondering if it's possible to buy covers for them and have the installed, or would I have to buy new rings? Or if it is just not worth it and I could buy new pickups for less.

I picked up a set of covers for my SE ZM. Got them from Philadelphia Luthier Tools. I went with the raw nickel 49.2 and 52mm ones. Heat treated (for that rainbow metal effect) and then brushed them. Now, if my ZM would hurry up and get here.

I recently replaced the pickup rings on my SE 245 with ones I found at my LGS and the covers I got off Amazon. The covers are not a perfect fit so there's a little space as you can see from the middle pic but it allows the pup to sit as the height I had before but not let the cover touch the strings. I had to trim the ears off the covers to make them work. They are plastic because I didn't want to deal with any possible metal interference after the install.

Before:
rMiMhGFh.jpg

Cover/pup size comparison. The covers don't sit all the way down on the pup so this is how they sit on them in the guitar.
tO7fXRVh.jpg

After:
c7hoHPMh.jpg

hah, yes! Just like that :) Although I'm going to get the "raw" nickel so not exactly the same as yours.

Back