Phase III tuner buttons

Simon Says

Cathode Follower
As much as my 30th anniversary core is near perfect I need to change the buttons for a smaller versions. Shaped such as small Schaller tuners or vintage tulip style. Reason is that every time I put my guitar down on a flat surface or back to it's case I knock the tuning off on G and D string. I'm hopping smaller tuner buttons will sort it out.

Any ideas? Crazy Parts is no go - my to date experience with them is far from plesant

What was your experience with Crazyparts? BTW, as you search, be aware that Tone Ninja's stuff is just re-branded Crazyparts merchandise. I just bought the official PRS Phase III ebony buttons, but even holding one in my hand, I can't really tell if it's ebony. Eerily smooth. You can't really feel or see and pores or grain. Coincidentally, there is zero information anywhere as to the materials used for the Phase III ebony buttons. I even asked the vendor and she didn't know. I plan to return them.

Gotoh buttons should fit, since they make the tuners. The Phase III metal buttons perfectly match Gotoh's 'A01' large aluminum button used in 3x3 configurations. Gotoh wood version of this button is the 'E01', which carries the same shape, but with slightly different dimensions. There are a number of sites that make wood buttons for Gotohs, but not in the 'A01'/'E01' shape. Check out Luthier's Mercantile International, Nichols Inlay, or Charis Acoustic, if you want to get an idea. I've searched high and low...there aren't that many people that make wood tuner buttons.

The Gotoh ebony wood buttons sold by AllParts, Guitar Parts Factory and other vendors are the smaller 6-in-line size or the wrong shape. I haven't been able to find a U.S. distributor for Gotoh. There is a company in Canada (www.japarts.ca) that sells custom-configured Gotoh tuners, but when I last checked (2020) they said Gotoh didn't sell the wood buttons.

The Gotoh 2021 catalog is here: https://g-gotoh.com/?lang=en

SG-Buttons-Dim.jpg

What was your experience with Crazyparts? BTW, as you search, be aware that Tone Ninja's stuff is just re-branded Crazyparts merchandise. I just bought the official PRS Phase III ebony buttons, but even holding one in my hand, I can't really tell if it's ebony. Eerily smooth. You can't really feel or see and pores or grain. Coincidentally, there is zero information anywhere as to the materials used for the Phase III ebony buttons. I even asked the vendor and she didn't know. I plan to return them.

Gotoh buttons should fit, since they make the tuners. The Phase III metal buttons perfectly match Gotoh's 'A01' large aluminum button used in 3x3 configurations. Gotoh wood version of this button is the 'E01', which carries the same shape, but with slightly different dimensions. There are a number of sites that make wood buttons for Gotohs, but not in the 'A01'/'E01' shape. Check out Luthier's Mercantile International, Nichols Inlay, or Charis Acoustic, if you want to get an idea. I've searched high and low...there aren't that many people that make wood tuner buttons.

The Gotoh ebony wood buttons sold by AllParts, Guitar Parts Factory and other vendors are the smaller 6-in-line size or the wrong shape. I haven't been able to find a U.S. distributor for Gotoh. There is a company in Canada (www.japarts.ca) that sells custom-configured Gotoh tuners, but when I last checked (2020) they said Gotoh didn't sell the wood buttons.

The Gotoh 2021 catalog is here: https://g-gotoh.com/?lang=en

SG-Buttons-Dim.jpg

Thanks Erik

My experience with Crazyparts was that they sent me phase 2 buttons claiming they are phase 3 and refused to take responsibility for it even when clear evidence of differences on a side by side photo with phase 3 buttons has been send to him. It ended up with paypal grievance and refund as a result.

I have recently learned that Gotoh buttons will fit Phase 3 indeed. I was doing a bit of research regarding other tuner related stuff and this is what it was said I believe on thefretboard.co.uk forum.

I decided to keep my custom stock, though. I got ebony ones from PRS Accessories UK to put in my other guitar

Have you considered the faux bone tuner buttons used on the DGT? The PRS pearloid buttons are also a smaller button.

Have you considered the faux bone tuner buttons used on the DGT? The PRS pearloid buttons are also a smaller button.

I have the faux bone style on Custom, and ebony on Standard (with phase iii tuners). The size of buttons stopped being a problem. I just got used to it ;)

If you are still looking for Ebony tuner buttons I have some you can have free and gratis.

PM your address and I’ll get them to you.

Thank you buddy but I'm good. Like I said I have some from UK PRS Accessory shop, they had them in stock until recently. I got them for my Standard but decided to keep the Custom stock.

I really appreciate it, though. You are good eggs

Thank you buddy but I'm good. Like I said I have some from UK PRS Accessory shop, they had them in stock until recently. I got them for my Standard but decided to keep the Custom stock.

I really appreciate it, though. You are good eggs

Hey no problem.

Back