P22 question (pickups / electronics)

Jan

Hi guys,

I am currently starting to think of getting another PRS... I have a Custom 22 Stoptail and a 20th Anniversary Singlecut. Both awesome instruments.

I was thinking of getting another C22 but saw that the P22 has two things that I would really like: a thicker body and an adjustable stoptail bridge. I wouldn't mind the Piezo stuff but I honestly don't need it. So, if we are talking JUST about the electric sound: do all the electronics influence it in any way? Or is it just like the "straight" sound from the pickups (i.e. like with the C22)? And it would be no prob to change the pickups right?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Jan

Edit: By the way, I don't necessarily want a McCarty, which also has a thicker body, because I MUCH prefer locking tuners

If your not interested in the piezo, I would not go for a P22. The extra electronics will not have an influence on the sound of the magnetic pickups, but it will be harder to change the pickups and there is much more that can go wrong with the guitar. You should go for another Custom, and then order the adjustable bridge separate. The piezo bridge sounds great, but it does add another element of resistance between the string and the studs that the normal adjustable bridge does not.

If your not interested in the piezo, I would not go for a P22. The extra electronics will not have an influence on the sound of the magnetic pickups, but it will be harder to change the pickups and there is much more that can go wrong with the guitar. You should go for another Custom, and then order the adjustable bridge separate. The piezo bridge sounds great, but it does add another element of resistance between the string and the studs that the normal adjustable bridge does not.

Chris, thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I wanted to know... looks like P22 might not be the best route then. I'll give it some more thought :)

One very cool thing about the Piezo is how you can blend with the magnetic pickups...so it's not always used just for an 'acoustic' sound. It adds an interesting definition to chords...and lead in some cases.

One very cool thing about the Piezo is how you can blend with the magnetic pickups...so it's not always used just for an 'acoustic' sound. It adds an interesting definition to chords...and lead in some cases.
Yep, that's what I just posted in another thread that was asking about piezo pickups...

The piezo creates a tone that mag pups don't generally produce, and the ability to blend it in/out allows you to thicken up lead/solo stuff in a unique manner, IMHO.

Guys, thanks for the input! Yeah I think that could be really cool, it's just that I don't NEED that option

Edit: OK, I also don't NEED another guitar lol, but we know how that goes...

Back