Ox vs. Helix or ?

MarkAG

My gigging days are long past and while I still love my old Marshall stack, it is not good for my room (at least if I wish to stay married to my wife of over 40 years). I was thinking of either getting the UA attenuator to get into lower volume or to pick up a modeler such as the Line 6 Helix or Helix Lt that was recommended to me and saying goodbye to the stack and stick with the monitors or phones. I still have an old Twin that I will go to my grave with. I would appreciate any advice from those who might have made the switch. I'm not stuck on the Helix either so am open to other suggestions as I have been told she has had enough and a change has to be made now. Thanks in advance.

Is a new wife an option? ;)

I have the Kemper and the HX Stomp and like both. If I could only have one, I would have the Kemper. You can grab the sounds of your present amps and have them on the Kemper so you can still play them in essence. You can use your headphones on either and both are easily portable. You could get the 1x12 Kemper Kab and have a nice setup for anything you can imagine. Playing loud, quiet, silent, recording, etc. Not sure what you want to spend but that is the best way to go IMO.

The HX Stomp is great as well. I use it personally for more fo an extension to my pedalboard or headphone playing. It is great (for me) on the road in hotels etc.

If you have further questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer and help. :)

I am also a Kemper user (I have an Archon as well). It works great for me, since I live in a townhouse and share a wall. If it were me, I'd go modeler just for the sake of space. Plus, you'd still be able to get the tones of your Marshall from any good modeling set up. If you want those cranked Marshall tones, and want the real thing, adding an OxBox to your current set up would certainly allow for that.

Happy hunting!

I failed to initially to say I am an amp guy through and through and also love my 4x12's. I resisted the tech / Modeling / profiling stuff for a long time. I am about 6 months in (will never part with all my amps and still use them daily) but it is nice having the other pieces I initially mentioned. They are great, sound great, easy to use, etc. I really enjoy them for practicing and silent playing at night, etc.

Thank you so much for your replies. After 43 years, 6 kids and too many grandkids to count, I don't think Im going anywhere. Thanks for these suggestions. I guess I'm going to go to my local guy who managed to survive the pandemic and the mail order behemoths to try some of this stuff out. He just reopened the store and since I got a few bucks to spend, I might as well give it to him. I'm 70 years old, saw Jimi live 4 times, and the friggin gear lust never dies. Going to talk to him about a Private Stock.

I switched to Helix Lt around two years ago and couldn't be happier. Best part is that you're not precluded from playing amplified: just bypass the amp/cab block and it can go straight in to an amp. I've never even felt the need to A/B it versus analog effects since I can find great examples of all the sounds I want inside.

I’m a UA Ox Amp Top Box believer. If you’re an amp guy, and not interested in digital modeling, the Ox Box will give you the best of all worlds. You can turn your amps up where you want and tone them down volume-wise, you can use internal (and very good, btw) IRs to play through headphones while the Ox provides the speaker load… you don’t even need a speaker cab if you don’t want to make noise. You can run this direct into a DAW or studio monitors for whatever volume works or… do it all at once to multiple outs!

It is the answer for those who don’t want to part with their amps, demand studio quality sound and effects, and can’t live with the decibels. There are other options out there, but look at what the pros are using and you’ll get the point.

Other than that, I don’t have an opinion on the matter. :D

By the way, I have an Axe FX III and love it. I’m not a tech Luddite, but I also love and have no intention to stop using my tube amps!

Last edited:
Kemper user here.
I still gig some, but I tended to leave my PRS Custom 50 combo at the practice studio because I didn't want to transport back and forth to home.
Now I can pack the Kemper and a Kabinet and it's much lighter. If we get our practice studio back together I might get a second Kemper to leave there to further reduce transport.
That being said, if I LOVED the Marshall stack I'd def consider the OX. It is a quality addition to be sure, and if you want to open it up and wail, it'll all still be there.
Me? I'm not going back. I won't sell my traditional amps, but the Kemper will do it all from quiet at home, loud at home, recording, practice, and gigs.
It's a great time to be a guitar player. So many quality choices.

I would try to stop in at a place that has a modeler and try it. Personally, I hate menu diving on tiny screens, so about 30 seconds with a Helix and I was ready to have my amps back. There’s probably an app or something, but I just like being able to reach for a knob. I also like knowing that what I’m playing is the thing, not a simulation of it. So I use a load box and IR loader with my amps - not the OX, but I think the same idea still applies.

Nothing against those using the Helix, Kemper, etc., I’m just too cranky for it.

I've turned from a tube snob to a Helix dude. I adore my Helix LT, wouldn't trade to for anything. That said, given your love for your amp that you already have, you should probably try the OX first to see if you dig it - if it does what you need, you'll be all set without the learning curve. I didn't find the Helix learning curve to be too steep, but I watched a couple hours of Jason Sadites' videos on youtube to get a handle on it.

If you’re considering a Helix, you might want to look at a Headrush pedalboard or Gigboard. I made the switch to digital 6 months ago with a Gigboard and haven’t touched my H&K since. I can’t comment on the Helix, but after hours of internet research I went the Headrush route. Great sounds, simple user friendly interface, !easy on the back and not you’re overwhelmed with tweaking options (although there are plenty to get distracted by.......damn you IR’s :p)

Modelers have gone a long way since it started. All the mid and high end ones will give you joy! Not just for you, but for the wife too for saving space. I am happy with my Headrush Gigboard and FRFR cab. The key is, FRFR cab when using modelers.

Back