Out of my comfort zone.

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have two shows coming up. One is this Saturday and the other is next Friday.

I have been using my jcm800 studio head and working with all of the cabs I have to see which one I'll use for these shows.

I love my 1960a cab with G12T-75s and thought that would be the one BUT I've decided on my closed back 2x12 with celestion creamback 65s.

I'm forcing myself to leave 4x12 at home and commit to this 2x12. I'm a 4x12 guy all day long but this 2x12 sounds pretty dang good.

Guitar, comp, EP booster, delay then amp.........that's it.

Wish me luck........

Good luck.

I can’t get away with 4x12’s or 2x12’s anymore. The sheer sight of them makes the sound man tell me to turn down, regardless of how loud I actually am.

That’s why I went to Boogie combos. They look at ‘em and think I have a quiet lil’ amp. :p

We're used to certain things when we perform, so I totally get it.

I'm a 2x12 person. I've played through them since 1969.

Oh come on, that was like, what, a week ago for some of us. :eek:

1x1`2s just have a different 'swirl', and so do 4x12s, though I must say the best guitar sound I've ever recorded was my Two-Rock Onyx through a late '60s Marshall 4x12 with the original speakers. Still, the cab was in an iso booth and I consider it kind of an outlier.

I've had some nice 1x12 cabs, but dagnabit, I could not get used to them.

By the way, have you heard anyone say 'dagnabit' since Walter Brennan or Gabby Hayes in 1950s cowboy movies? I have not. And yet, it's a word.

Say, did you need proof that I'm too old to remain a resident of Earth? Well, there you are. ;)

"Given how many light years from Earth your planet is, Les, no wonder you were watching very old movies. It took quite a while for the transmissions to reach you."

"Perhaps I should look into cable."

"Won't solve your problem. Just how old are you, Les?"

"Oh geez, don't make me do the math. I'm still doing math in Roman numerals, and it's just too much of a pain."

"They have calculators now."

"Ever see one that does Roman numerals?"

Last edited:

1x1`2s just have a different 'swirl', and so do 4x12s, though I must say the best guitar sound I've ever recorded was my Two-Rock Onyx through a late '60s Marshall 4x12 with the original speakers. Still, the cab was in an iso booth and I consider it kind of an outlier.

By the way, have you heard anyone say 'dagnabit' since Walter Brennan or Gabby Hayes in 1950s cowboy movies? I have not. And yet, it's a word.

Say, did you need proof that I'm too old to remain a resident of Earth? Well, there you are. ;)

"Given how many light years from Earth your planet is, Les, no wonder you were watching very old movies. It took quite a while for the transmissions to reach you."

"Oh geez, don't make me do the math. I'm still doing math in Roman numerals, and it's just too much of a pain."

I had a prs 1x12 which had a v30 in it. Hated that cab, couldn't unplug from it quick enough. Never been a big v30 fan so when I stumbled across an alnico cream for 170 bucks I thought I found the solution.

Still hated that cab so I sold it.

I got along with the 2x12 cab just fine last night even though I kept thinking that my 4x12 would have sounded better.

I'm at a cross road though. I use my McCarty for these country shows because they do some drop D stuff so fixed bridge is a no brainer.

My problem is bridge pickup.

The 8515 is just the best dang neck pickup I've ever played and I'm sooo happy with neck and center positions but the dragon 1 in the bridge is leaving me wanting more. Dragon 1 split is very convincing on low end of neck maybe just a tad harsh but not offensive. Humbucker setting just isn't as sweet as the rest of the package.

Thinking about a change and my current options are 8515, 5310, 5909 and T reissue. All of these are square bobbin. I think had I had a tiny Phillips last night I would have lowered dragon 1 a bit and maybe that's all I need to do. I've got the whole week to figure it out.

Last edited:

I have heard dagnabit used in the last 5 years.

Have great shows! As a 4x12 gigging guitarist, I’m curious how it turns out!
My rig last night, marshall jcm800 studio head 2x12 closed cab creamback 65s 2000 McCarty

When I played neck pickup (8515) I didn't think about my 4x12 at all. I have a dragon 1 squabbin in bridge position and as I just posted, I may adjust height or swap it out.

This particular 2x12 with these speakers sounds really good. I am certain my 4x12 G12T-75s would sound better but I'm currently living a life of considerable discomfort so I'm leaning towards a lighter load.

I had a prs 1x12 which had a v30 in it. Hated that cab, couldn't inplug from it quick enough. Never been a big v30 fan so when I stumbled across an alnico cream for 170 bucks I thought I found the solution.

Still hated that cab so I sold it.

I got along with the 2x12 cab just fine last night even though I kept thinking that my 4x12 would have sounded better.

I'm at a cross road though. I use my McCarty for these country shows because they do some drop D stuff so fixed bridge is a no brainer.

My problem is bridge pickup.

The 8515 is just the best dang neck pickup I've ever played and I'm sooo happy with neck and center positions but the dragon 1 in the bridge is leaving me wanting more. Dragon 1 split is very convincing on low end of neck maybe just a tad harsh but not offensive. Humbucker setting just isn't as sweet as the rest of the package.

Thinking about a change and my current options are 8515, 5310, 5909 and T reissue. All of these are square bobbin. I think had I had a tiny Phillips last night I would have lowered dragon 1 a bit and maybe that's all I need to do. I've got the whole week to figure it out.
Might not be your "cup of tea" but the BK Rebel Yells my 2000 SC came with are lovely...

Might not be your "cup of tea" but the BK Rebel Yells my 2000 SC came with are lovely...
I'm not apposed to other brands but the 8515 squabbin i have in this particular guitar is magnetic heaven and I won't swap it out. Soooo to maintain the squabbin look ill have to stick with prs this time.

Back