Old school inspiriation

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
So I was reaching up on a high shelf in my tattoo station and stumbled across this! I think it may have inspired a musical project for me that will advance my understanding both musically and technically. If nothing else though, it dredged up some nostalgia. This was the album that started the obsession for me (For this band anyway....it was the song Texas Flood that got me really interested in the guitar itself). The crazy part is that the first time I listened to it all the way through, I felt like I had made a mistake in buying it. Oh my God! How wrong I was!

I have a device that slows down a CD to half speed without changing the pitch of the notes (that, by the way, has never really gotten any use). I think I am going to try to tab out the solo from The Divided Sky by ear. I figure, even if it takes me a year to do it, by the time I am there I will have learned quite a bit more than I do now and my ear will be much better. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but even if I get "close" I feel like I would have advanced quite a bit. You can find the initial, written part of this song tabbed out all over the place....but NO ONE seems to want to tackle the jam......at least not note for note. They instead go for the "make it your own", Trey uses the blah-blah-blah mode and the yadda-yadda chord tones in this part and then goes into this-or-that scale here. But I really want to know it note for note from the studio version....so, since I can't find it, it looks like I am going to either have to call him and have him write it all out for me [lol], or transcribe it myself. AND, if I just do a little bit of it each time I practice, it will eventually get done (assuming that I don't give up on it). AND, it will also help with that "picking up my guitar to actually PRACTICE at least five times a week" that I posted about a few days ago. Sounds like a win/win to me....though I may want to set my guitar on fire from frustration as I delve deeper into this.

Wish me luck!

83245593_10162894929580331_909263203836362752_o.jpg

For those who aren't familiar with this band, this is the song I am talking about. The jam is from about 6:50 into the song. I can play a lot of the beginning part of the song and a little bit of the beginning melody do the jam, but the improved part is where most people's transcriptions break down. I MUST transcribe it!

Now I am nervous thinking about the task. But I have wanted to play that jam since I was like 19 or 20 years old. I gotta figure it out.

Back