Ok, so what next? To round out my collection. Suggestions?

I was way less successful than @LSchefman but… I agree that the one of everything is a trap.

I had the 335 type, a couple LP’s, a Strat, a Tele, and my one PRS CE for years. Initially all the others were for back when you had “real sessions” with other people in the same room, and clients or producers had a preference.

Then, everything changed. I just started getting files sent to me and it (almost) didn’t matter what guitar I played, all that mattered was “sounds good”.

What really changed my mind was a dude I was in semi-competition with, dude rocked whatever he could afford or hold onto (life as a musician is rough). He got a bangin’ gig with Joss Stone playing an Ibanez RG(!) and worked for years with Chicago’s (unknown to us all at the time) most infamous pedo playing an Malmsteen Strat(!), great gig that made him a thousandaire many times over.

What gear you play is just about the least important thing. Yeah, it’s gotta sound alright but, how good you are, how consistent you are, how available you are, how easy to be around you are, how great your parts are, and how quickly you come up with them are all way more important.
Thank you and cheers!

That’s one of the main reasons I didn’t go for the tele. I played a few and disliked all of them. But that’s my opinion. :). Thanks again!
I'm just like you in that regard! I've never been able to hang onto a Tele. I've had several, and finally gave up. Maybe it's the ergonomics, maybe it's the tone, or some combination thereof, but yeah. They're not for me.

One nice thing about not needing so many guitars is that it gives me more room to budget nicer guitars and amps when I do decide to go shopping for something!!

I'm just like you in that regard! I've never been able to hang onto a Tele. I've had several, and finally gave up. Maybe it's the ergonomics, maybe it's the tone, or some combination thereof, but yeah. They're not for me.

One nice thing about not needing so many guitars is that it gives me more room to budget nicer guitars and amps when I do decide to go shopping for something!!
Exactly! And I can play them all and enjoy it!

Same here. That Luther Perkins tone is probably the first electric tone that grabbed me (I know, Esquire). I can't lie - in the right hands, I love the sound of a Tele. But I've yet to find a Tele I've wanted to take home. My buddy bought one a couple years ago to plink around on at home, and he left it here for two weeks. I went over the set up, then used it to try to record a cover of John 5's "Behind The Nut Love" - it's open tuning with a lot of behind the nut bends. But I can't say I bonded it with it. Every now and then the bug strikes, but I remember how it's gone in the past so I don't indulge it. Never say never, but...pretty much never.

Same here. That Luther Perkins tone is probably the first electric tone that grabbed me (I know, Esquire). I can't lie - in the right hands, I love the sound of a Tele. But I've yet to find a Tele I've wanted to take home. My buddy bought one a couple years ago to plink around on at home, and he left it here for two weeks. I went over the set up, then used it to try to record a cover of John 5's "Behind The Nut Love" - it's open tuning with a lot of behind the nut bends. But I can't say I bonded it with it. Every now and then the bug strikes, but I remember how it's gone in the past so I don't indulge it. Never say never, but...pretty much never.
The last Tele I ordered was a semi hollow one, with a humbucker at the bridge and a belly cut, made in 1998 by Tom Anderson.

I came closest to liking that one of all the Teles I've owned. It was the "un-Tele" Tele. If you're in the market for a Tele, he makes a damn nice one. Not that anyone should want a Tele when there are perfectly good McCartys in the wild. :)

Indeed, I agree not enough for me to put money forward to own one.

The last Tele I ordered was a semi hollow one, with a humbucker at the bridge and a belly cut, made in 1998 by Tom Anderson.

I came closest to liking that one of all the Teles I've owned. It was the "un-Tele" Tele. If you're in the market for a Tele, he makes a damn nice one. Not that anyone should want a Tele when there are perfectly good McCartys in the wild. :)
Love my McCarty!

My luthier is a dedicated tele player, and keeps threatening to build me a tele and give it to me so that I can “see the light”. While it is the required guitars for the better players in the DMV, there’s nothing about it that attracts me. I appreciate all the good players and music made on one, I have all the sounds I hear in my head on my PRS.

My luthier is a dedicated tele player, and keeps threatening to build me a tele and give it to me so that I can “see the light”. While it is the required guitars for the better players in the DMV, there’s nothing about it that attracts me. I appreciate all the good players and music made on one, I have all the sounds I hear in my head on my PRS.
100%

Back