Odd duck - "employee guitar"

Sam

Luddite
Came across this odd looking singlecut. Dealer labels it as a 2001 Employee guitar, though hasn't gotten back with a serial or pic of the back of the head. Legit?

sc1.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc4.jpg

I say NFW. Maybe it was made by a PRS employee (or former one) in his home workshop, but IMO there's no way that thing ever came out of the PRS factory. If I'm wrong I'll be shocked.

And WTF is that inlay on the headstock??

It just doesn't look right, I don't know exactly what it is (headstock?) but without a serial number to legitimize it, I would be inclined to think it's a tribute guitar.

Yeah, it just doesn't look right.. There's just way too much weirdness going on in that thing. That heel joint is really odd looking, too. And a 2-piece hog body?

Maybe it was made by a PRS employee (or former one) in his home workshop, but IMO there's no way that thing ever came out of the PRS factory.
My guess too. I'll update if I get a reply (it's in Japan)

It looks very strange. Wrong headstock, the neck heel looks strange, the body seems to consist of two pieces, the cutaway may be wrong but it's difficult to tell from the perspective in the photo.

The nut seems ok though :p :D

None of the curves seem to match the various PRS body shapes I have seen. The curves just aren't 'graceful' for lack of a better term...

The lower bout and cutaway are particularly non-PRS-like.

The headstock is obvious.

Do the dots at the 12th fret look too far apart?

Also - does anyone think an employee, who could select just about anything in the shop, would opt for a 2 piece mahogany body??

Agreed, the odds of this coming out of the PRS factory is slim to none. Looks very homemade using a few PRS parts, nothing more.

Back