October Calendar Guitar

prs19

Anyone see the October Private Stock calendar guitar? It appears to be a hollowbody with no electric or piezo pickups. If not, wonder what the owner uses it for?

In other news, flipping that calendar at the beginning of the month is like a live PSF! I always look forward to it!

I haven't seen it, but when I was at the factory last year, there was a no pickup guitar being built. Couch strummer?

Pretty sure there is also one in the PSF thread, no idea how to find it again other than trawling through the whole thread (not a bad way to spend time!). I always thought it was a piezo only, interesting idea to have no pickups. Suppose you could you mic up a hollowbody, mine is pretty loud anyway.

Curious -- what makes you think it isn't a piezo?

(wanders off to actually dig out calendar)

Oh, I see. Never mind.

I don't think we can post pics from the calendar without violating PRS' copyright, Serge, sorry.

No pickups? Weird, but not unheard of. In the late '50's, Rickenbacker introduced a carved-top-and-back version of their double-cutaway 360, called a 381, with the usual two pickups, and in the price list, they also mentioned a 380 with no pickups, as well as a 382 (two pickups and vibrato), a 383 (three pickups) and a 384 (three pickups and vibrato). I don't think the 380 was ever produced, and neither was the 387 (flat-top acoustic with three pickups (!) and vibrato(!!), but they were in the price list at least through 1968. Nothing new under the sun, I guess!

Not too long ago I was doing research and went through every PSF post. I do remember a guitar with no pickups, and I think I remember Shawn answering questions and mentioning it had no electronics at all.

Last edited:
i wonder if it has a jazz pickup on the neck and a pickguard with controls on it!

Back