Nut deviation on TusqXL

Rixstar

21jsj0x.jpg

Hi everyone, I replaced my SE nut with a tusq xl and when I came back to it the next day there was some slight deviation in the nut, hopefully you can see.

Intonation is perfect on the open, 12 and even 24th fret. Question is should I be worried then with this gap? Or does the intonation answer this.

Thanks for any replies.

Are you speaking about the low E-string side and high E string where the nut meets the fretboard? Yep. I see it as well. And would ask whoever who put the nut in to eyeball it for themselves and see if they can see it. That's an install error. If the original tech who installed it won't correct his error, I'd put in a request to someone further up the food chain who can help solve your issue. You'll need a new uncut nut, or a precut one with the correct size dimensions.

Are you speaking about the low E-string side and high E string where the nut meets the fretboard? Yep. I see it as well. And would ask whoever who put the nut in to eyeball it for themselves and see if they can see it. That's an install error. If the original tech who installed it won't correct his error, I'd put in a request to someone further up the food chain who can help solve your issue. You'll need a new uncut nut, or a precut one with the correct size dimensions.

It was me who did it haha I really don't wanna mess about with it more but it bugs me a bit. I knows it's only a hair width but I know it's there

It was me who did it haha I really don't wanna mess about with it more but it bugs me a bit. I knows it's only a hair width but I know it's there

In that case, Rider can help you there...

It looks like it hanging over on the Hi E side and short on the low E knock it loose and re-glue or get a Core PRS nut and do it over.

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm from the UK so that would be alot of beer to get you here!

I ordered the recommended tusq xl that many on this forum have used. I might buy a few more and a core nut and try again myself. I think I may of used too much glue so I'm really scared of knocking it off. I'll use a cuthroat razor. Got some luthier tools to clean the cavity. Should be OK once I knock up the courage.

All done. Re ordered another nut (late night and came early morning luckily enough) and re done it. Alot happier now. Added some elixir 9s, fret buzz gone and intonation is spot on.

Happy days

All done. Re ordered another nut (late night and came early morning luckily enough) and re done it. Alot happier now. Added some elixir 9s, fret buzz gone and intonation is spot on.

Happy days

Sweet. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Back