NUAD

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have been on a roller coaster ride with amps in the last 5 years or so.

I can't seem to find an amp to call my own.

Couple of my forum buddies have tried to get me to go the Kemper route and I just might do it.

Had a Friedman Runt 20 that I couldn't bond with. It had some really cool direct out features that I thought might be good for recording but I just didn't like playing it.

I sold it to a guy and he says he's happy with it. Then he asks if I'd be interested in his mt15?

Going to fire up this mt15 today and give it a go.

We'll see what happens!

I have been on a roller coaster ride with amps in the last 5 years or so.

I can't seem to find an amp to call my own.

Couple of my forum buddies have tried to get me to go the Kemper route and I just might do it.

Had a Friedman Runt 20 that I couldn't bond with. It had some really cool direct out features that I thought might be good for recording but I just didn't like playing it.

I sold it to a guy and he says he's happy with it. Then he asks if I'd be interested in his mt15?

Going to fire up this mt15 today and give it a go.

We'll see what happens!
Good luck! The MT-15 is a little fire breather.

I still can't get over the Archon. I tried a bunch, and owned many over the last 10 years and it was the best of all the ones I've played. There are several amps that I have heard or played that are up there with it and could possibly even beat it overall, the Bogner 101B being one. But the Archon can be my "#1" for good as far as I'm concerned. I still want that open Marshall crunch thing... not completely happy with the Bogner ATMA because A) Bogner is more low mid focused, vs. JCM800 having that upper mid push, and B) IMO, Bogner went overboard trying to make the ATMA sound like a big amp. The bass needs to be turned WAY down on most settings and still is too deep for the design. I've considered modding it (as some others have done) to make the bottom end more real M type, instead of the hyped curve it has now on the bottom end. If the right amp came along, I'd roll it in favor of a more JCM800 voiced amp, that could do well at lower volumes.

I still can't get over the Archon. I tried a bunch, and owned many over the last 10 years and it was the best of all the ones I've played. There are several amps that I have heard or played that are up there with it and could possibly even beat it overall, the Bogner 101B being one. But the Archon can be my "#1" for good as far as I'm concerned. I still want that open Marshall crunch thing... not completely happy with the Bogner ATMA because A) Bogner is more low mid focused, vs. JCM800 having that upper mid push, and B) IMO, Bogner went overboard trying to make the ATMA sound like a big amp. The bass needs to be turned WAY down on most settings and still is too deep for the design. I've considered modding it (as some others have done) to make the bottom end more real M type, instead of the hyped curve it has now on the bottom end. If the right amp came along, I'd roll it in favor of a more JCM800 voiced amp, that could do well at lower volumes.
Hmmmmm I'm always complaining that my tone is harsh. Maybe the ATMA is what I need???

Hmmmmm I'm always complaining that my tone is harsh. Maybe the ATMA is what I need???
The Bogners are known for having a low mid emphasis vs. a high mid emphasis (like a JCM800 has). The big ones are seriously killer amps. The ATMA has "that" sound, but IMO, a bit too much bass. Bogner said he designed it to show people that an EL84 amp could sound "big" but I think he went a bit too far with that and it needs some bass trimmed or it can get boomy. This is a common complaint online, even from guys who love them which seems to be a lot of people. That said, I've seen a few that owned and loved them but eventually sold them for just this one reason. I find it tolerable with the bass knob at 9:00 or below on most settings, but still think it needs some trimmed off in the circuit and then it might be a truly great amp and a KILLER in the 18 watt arena, which many think it already is.

This is also a case though, were speakers could perhaps "fix" this. Greenbacks might be perfect with it, as might others that don't have too much bottom end. I'd avoid speakers and cabs that do have extended bottom end. And I don't mean exaggerated bottom end. You certainly don't want that, but even deeper extension is probably not a good mix from my experience. Greenbacks in a shallower cab (like Marshall types) rather than extended or scooped speakers in deep closed, ported or Thiele cabs.

I think this amp with it's versatile clean and multiple setting gain channels is very close to real greatness. Just have to be aware of this. Many things people do like putting their speaker cabs right on the wall, or worse, a corner, are not ideal with this amp.

Back