npd zoom g5

DHW

Picked up a zoom g5 today. Downloaded a patch set that's had all the amps removed. Sounds great but extremely overwhelming. I think I need to delete about 295 of the 300 patches lol.

Sergio and I have both been using Zoom sim pedals which have a lot of the same DNA as the G5. Fun stuff.

Yeah I'm loving this thing. I'm shocked at the quality of the od and distortion pedal Sims! They sound really good.

Bangin'! The pitch based stuff is hella wonky on these but everything else is really useful. I'm really into the Gov'ner dist pedal followed with the GEQ for some sweet tone shaping possibilities.

Bangin'! The pitch based stuff is hella wonky on these but everything else is really useful. I'm really into the Gov'ner dist pedal followed with the GEQ for some sweet tone shaping possibilities.

You're telling me! I was shooting for some wicked Jack white soloing and came out sounding like bobo from finding Bigfoot!

I'll have to give the Guv'nor a shot, haven't played with that one yet.

The Guv is a good one. I have the MS100-BT and picked up some extra ODs (Sweet Honey Overdrive, Super Crunch Box & KLON Gold) and they are excellent, but I've gotten hooked on the Zoom reverb and delay sims especially the Ambience reverb which gives a bit a room to a flat sound and the Church reverb which sounds like the name.
The other reverbs that are more special effects that are great for backing someone that I've used are the Ice Delay and Shimmer both modeled on Strymon reverbs and the Particle verb. Really great sounds for when you have a lot of space in the music.

Last edited:
The Guv is a good one. I have the MS100-BT and picked up some extra ODs (Sweet Honey Overdrive, Super Crunch Box & KLON Gold) and they are excellent, but I've gotten hooked on the Zoom reverb and delay sims especially the Ambience reverb which gives a bit a room to a flat sound and the Church reverb which sounds like the name.
The other reverbs that are more special effects that are great for backing someone that I've used are the Ice Delay and Shimmer both modeled on Strymon reverbs and the Particle verb. Really great sounds for when you have a lot of space in the music.

I've found some of the reverbs to be pretty over powering but then again I have been using a marshall tube combo and the reverb on it is very subtle so maybe it will take some getting used to. I found the room reverb to be tolerable but that ambience sounds like it might be just the ticket. Probably just need to twist the knobs more.

I've had the G5 for a couple of years. It was a bit daunting at first but once you find your way around it, it's a great piece of kit. I use mine a lot for recording via Audacity, it works great.

I've found some of the reverbs to be pretty over powering but then again I have been using a marshall tube combo and the reverb on it is very subtle so maybe it will take some getting used to. I found the room reverb to be tolerable but that ambience sounds like it might be just the ticket. Probably just need to twist the knobs more.

Definitely try the Air or Ambience reverbs, both are very subtle and give the impression of a mic on a cabinet rather than a full room.

The others are over the top but really useful in the right places.

Back