NPD! (New Prototype Day!)

Ha! Yes, indeed. My longest one since I started collecting PRS was the Jade Glow DC 245 PS, had that from 2012 to 2016 (when the 594s ruined me for the 245 scale!). This one will break that record later this year!

Yes and no. The 2016 weighs 8 pounds 9 ounces and the 2020 weighs 9 pounds even. I have found more so it is the luck of the draw with the woods and the way the guitar resonates. You can feel it while playing the guitar unplugged. The 2020 is a beast, it has great resonance across the spectrum and plenty of thump, the 2016 just has a little more.

I would agree that when you get a lighter than average SC, like 8.25 pounds or less, sometimes it is lacking in thump. Or the older weight relieved ones. With anything 8.5 pounds or greater, I have found it is more so the luck of the draw with the combination of the woods, and all of the other nuances, with the SC 594s being most consistently the best SCs in PRS history, likely due to all of the things in the evolution, the thicker body, the different Maple to Mahogany Ratio, the two piece bridge evolution, the pickups, etc. (And this is speaking from a pretty large sample size!) ;)

Somehow though, the two SC 594 Semi-Hollows I have had have been amazing, not much different in tone, maybe losing 5-10% of the classic Singlecut sound, but sub-8 pounds. Weird, but cool...
In my experience (damaged ears?) - one can add it back with a solid Braz neck :)

My P245T weighs under 8lbs (per my spec) but has plenty of that low/mid push thanks to the full Braz neck. My first Huber is made with Spanish Cedar and also weighs less than 8lbs with a thicker body (than my P245T) and hog neck and still has plenty of low/mid push. It isn’t all about the weight. :D

Back