Non-PRS Instruments that surprised you

solacematt

About a week ago me and a friend were driving back home and I had this song idea I just couldn't hum into my voice recorder to remember, so we got off the interstate and went to a Sam Ash, haha. Went into the store and the two PRS they had there were both badly out of tune with strings that made you wish for a shot afterwards, so my buddy handed me a Squier Jazzmaster. Not my cup of tea, but surprisingly for a 300.00 guitar it sounded pretty decent and I was able to pull that song idea out of my head and onto video on my iPhone :p

Two that put a smile on my face lately.

First was my old MIM Strat that I haven't played for about 9 months. I got it out for some Eb tuning blues and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. Strats like Eb.

The other is a Heritage H150 that I got a pretty good deal on last month. There are some guitars that just have the something extra, and this one has it. I need to say that being a "something special" guitar put it up there with my PRSi. It had tone that good, which surprises me, for other brands to be that good.

My unicorn... the Peavey Accelerator F, lol. Only 400 made in 1994, who knows how many exist now. Occasionally see one pop up on eBay, but never what I'm looking for.

I bought one in, well, 95, first guitar I bought on my own, it was a very long 4 months taking in money weekly to pay off the layaway, but after i took it home I was in love. Why was I surprised by it? Well because it was a mid range Peavey, lol. Even as a kid I knew their guitars were at best so-so (until EVH teamed up and gave us that killer Wolfgang), but with 2 dual blade SC pups, and a quad blade bucker, I was able to get all sorts of tone out of it. The wide neck even felt good to me, lol, it was nice being the only kid in school with a Floyd rose trem too :)

I suppose if anyone see an Accelerator F in transparent blue with chrome hardware and maple neck, let me know so I can buy it, lol, been looking for years now and have only seen green and "blonde" show up... with icky gold hardware.

Two that put a smile on my face lately.

First was my old MIM Strat that I haven't played for about 9 months. I got it out for some Eb tuning blues and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. Strats like Eb.

The other is a Heritage H150 that I got a pretty good deal on last month. There are some guitars that just have the something extra, and this one has it. I need to say that being a "something special" guitar put it up there with my PRSi. It had tone that good, which surprises me, for other brands to be that good.

You got a new H150?

I have a G&L nighthawk that I bought new in 1983. It sounds good. My buddy has a schecter PT that sounds and plays really well.

A couple of months ago I picked up a Gibson SGJ, a sub-$500 guitar, because I'd been jonesing for an SG for a while and didn't want to drop the scratch for a "higher-end" one. Well, that thing has turned out to be a huge eye-opener: Very well made, excellent playability and has tons of mojo. I even really dig the minimalist finish. The guitar is so good it was worth a few upgrades and I dropped in a Dirty Fingers, put on a pickguard and changed out some of the stock parts for nicer pieces. Great guitar (and really a shame they are dropping these from the lineup for '15)

Bottom of the line Parker PDF35. I had to sell off my P22 to fund a home project over the summer and I really missed the piezo. Out of curiosity, I picked up this thing and was amazed at how well it was built. The stock pups are pretty limited, no coil tap, so just the straight HB tones - which aren't bad, but don't exactly excite me either. I'll eventually swap out the pups and put push/pull pots in for split. But for $400 I really can't complain about it at all. It's currently my "noodle around while watching football" guitar.

It's a shame PRS doesn't have an SE with piezo option. I'd have jumped all over that if it were available.

Back