No, Really, I'm Spartacus

László

Too Many Notes
You know how in that movie That Thing You Do the drummer had this rhythm and the sax player sat down at the piano and started jamming to it?

Improvisation, baby. I make no claim to being a jazz musician, but I like to pretend I'm one.

So, I had some extra time myself in the studio tonight, and just felt like jamming on the piano, and recorded it, no edits or BS, to a jazzy drum track I have. Then I added a little bass.

Hey, it's improvisation, and it's not great, but it's original and was fun. I didn't put guitar on it. I figured maybe someone here might want to do that instead. As I said, a real jazz musician I am not.

So without further disclaimer other than, "if you want to jam with it PM me and I'll send a download link," here is No, Really, I'm Spartacus:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/no-really-im-spartacus

Last edited:
Les, That sounds great ! I've never tried to play along with something like that but would love try. Any way I can get a link also?

So, for those of you who downloaded the file, did you record anything, or was the tune just too much of a mess to deal with?

I was on my lappletop that went down, I'll give it another shot when I'm finished relearning Logic.

I've noodled along with it. Nothing wrong with the tune at all. My noodling. on the other hand...

I was noodling around this evening and came up with a sound I was really enjoying. Then I remembered I had downloaded Les' backing track and thought I'd hook up my computer and record one pass through just to see how it sounds. I tried a few more takes after the first, but was too self-conscious for those takes and it sounds it.

So, in the spirit of the OP, here's a non-improv rock cover band guy totally winging it.

https://soundcloud.com/stylurus/spartacus-take-1

The guitar is a DGT, neck pickup split, thru my Axe Fx II (treble booster into Marshall 1987x model) recorded direct into Audacity. I don't know anything about recording other than how to press record, save and export.

Thanks, Les!

TFC!! My man!! Sounds great!

And you can play circles around me, that's for sure. I loved it. Thanks so much for laying on the track!

Terrific tone, too. Big thumbs up!

Thanks, Les. Usually when I try to improv over backing tracks it sounds like I'm playing scales along with a metronome. For whatever reason, this one turned out a little better. Curious to hear what other people come up with.

Well, my piece is a little bit disorganized, because I literally sat down and recorded it in one take. So it's kind of an odd duck, and hard to play along with.

But I wanted folks to have fun with it! So I'm glad that's happening.

Guys also feel free to chop it up and repeat a section where it makes sense, cut a section where it doesn't.

Wow TFC! That sounded great. I was going to fool with this myself so I was afraid to listen to what you did, and didn't want to copy it. I broke down and listened, and there is NO CHANCE I'm going to sound like that (except in my head). :top:

Guys, you're way too kind. I know my jazz...ain't jazz. But hey, it's fun to mess with ideas.

What I should do is create a heavy rock drum and bass track, and let you guys have at it!

Back