No Guitar Is Safe - Mike Scott

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
"No Guitar Is Safe" is a podcast hosted by Guitar Player's Jude Gold. He's had some excellent guests. Episode 12 is with Mike Scott, who's played with Prince, Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, among others. And is a monster PRS HB player. One of the things I like best about this is they talk while holding guitars, so when they talk about a part, they play it. There is a ton of great playing in this one, and great opportunities to hear some isolated Prince and other funk parts. Excellent stories, too, especially about Prince, but above all, about not missing opportunities.

Other guests have included Billy Sheehan, the incredible Guthrie Govan, Joe Satriani, Brad Gillis and Nita Strauss.

HIGHLY recommended.

And Sergio - especially this episode for you, my brother!

John 5 is next - for the Halloween ep.

And the Govan is great - he is such a genuinely nice guy.

I think I've told this story here before, but it's my thread! When I met him after the first time I saw the Aristocrats, I said, "Man, my goal is to play just six notes as cleanly as you do." He looked at me for a second, thought for a bit and said, "Well, we all have our own journeys with the instrument, don't we?"

If you're familiar with "Flatlands" from the first Aristocrats album, it sounds fairly easy to play, but it has given me terrible fits. Guthrie makes it look so easy, and he's so relaxed playing it.

Another story, related by Bryan Beller. Marco Minnemann, the drummer, wrote a tune for the first album called "Blues F*ckers", basically a send-up of blues cliches, but at a much faster tempo than normal. Bryan said he and Marco were walking into a rehearsal, and Marco said he thought he might have to rethink it because he didn't think it was fair to expect someone to play that stuff at that tempo. They opened the door to the rehearsal room to hear Guthrie playing it - much faster than it was written.

Dude. Is. A. Monster.

Back