What happens when your job gets in the way of guitar?

Tremontinator

Banned
Well, I hate to bring up a gloomy subject that's gonna drag everybody down but, IDK what to do so

It turns out that driving a friggin semi truck/big rig/18 wheeler (what the Brits call a Lori) is a hell of a lot more time consuming than I thought. I'll spare you guys the details but, it's basically
Wake up
Piss
Do my safety inspection
Hit the road
Make pickups and deliveries
Get fuel
Park for the night
Eat
And get to bed early cause tomorrow is an early day.

I should be trying to sleep right now.

On to the point of this post

What do you guys do when life and especially your job gets in the way of playing guitar?

In the past, I survived 10-12 hour work days 6 days/wk knowing I could take a few hours on Saturday night to keep my chops where they were at.

Out here on the road, I don't have time to play guitar, even if I had one with me.

I ran into a guy in Vegas who keeps a famous Japanese brand 7 string on his truck with a little blackstar combo.
That was the first time I've played in about a month, and it sounded horrendous. Even by my impossibly low skilled standards.
The dude showed me his practice journal. He's lucky to get one day a week for one hour. If that. Even during 34 hour resets, he has a hard time finding the time to play.

I bought a Mel Bay book on theory but, I've only read like 2 pages. And the MusicStudent101 podcast is far beyond me. (Highly recommended show, BTW. Hosted by a PhD and an MbA or whatever.)

It's like freakin boot camp all over again. Just without some jackwagon screaming in my face.

You guys, I can feel my calluses going soft...:(:oops:

It's hard to walk away from a job making a starting wage of right around 55k/yr. Especially coming from hard labor at 20-30k/yr.
All of the local jobs that would give me time to play guitar are going to pay right around 25-35k.

Sometimes, 11 hours in that seat behind the wheel is really hard, and you desperately need that mandatory 10 hours off duty. Other days, you feel like you can run 16+ hours.

Either way, there's no time for guitar. I mean, for God's sake, there's days where I say to hell with taking a shower, I'm taking my ass to freakin bed.
I've gone from the seat to the sheets within 5 minutes a couple of times. And every morning is straight from the sheets back into that damned seat.:mad:

Anybody got anything constructive? Or, can you at least pass me some baby wipes so I can at least take a whore's bath? Ain't had a damn shower in...idek:(:(:(

It can take a while to adapt. My dad drove for 40 some years. A lot depends on the kind of route you have, which probably depends heavily on how much experience you have and how reliable you are.

With a good route, he played golf 3 times a week and got his handicap down to a couple strokes. With a less attractive route he booked first tee time on the weekend and maybe snuck in a few holes while the sun was up until 10pm during the week.

I take it you're driving a sleeper cab, yeah? There should be room for a guitar in there. In the time it took you to write that post you could have played for at least 5 or 10 minutes.

I keep one in my office at work because since having kids almost 11 years ago, free time is almost non-existent at home. I have lunch breaks here.

I have an old band mate that turned into an OTR trucker, he keeps a guitar in his cab.

I guess the trick is to find the right route, or employer... his first one was pretty oppressive.

I thought I was gonna have a metric @ss ton of spare time being a stay at home dad but, really the only time I have to play is at rehearsal for my band.

I would just bring a guitar with you and see if you can add to your routine over time.
You get used to the schedule and guitar playing can be very relaxing, Lunch breaks , fuel stops , before bed anything here or there helps.
My issue is traveling the guitar with me on airplane and my baggage count.
Enjoy you new gig and you will find time.

I don't so much have work, or life, that gets in the way of my playing. It's just me not doing. I do make sure I play for at least 10 minutes, usually unplugged, while the Mrs is getting ready for bed. It isn't much, but it is something.

I have no advice, but I share your pain. I haven’t played in...well, it’ll be 5 weeks on Saturday, due to a back problem.

I have been too busy to really play lately as well. I still pick one up at least a couple times a week. It just takes planning and sticking to the plan. Carve out some time and even though you wont feel like doing it when the time comes, do it anyway. At least you will feel better for having accomplished a goal.

Sounds brutal! I hope things get better for you!

I haven’t played much the past two months due to all the packing and most of my guitars are now stored offsite. Because apparently hiring real ninjas to guard them 24/7 is quite expensive!

Thanks for the support, boys.

It's not a space issue. I've got a backpack with my shower gear, a mini duffel with paper logs, visibility vest, DOT books, **** like that, my military issued duffel bag is standard for all traveling, and my military issued laundry bag for, well, laundry. Oh, and a purple playmate lunchbox with some doodads in it.

After endless ruck marches, I've learned to pack and travel light.

It's just time. Although, admittedly, I would've had maybe an hour today.

I'm scared to take my SE on the road and have her get hurt.

FELLOW BRAND WHORES, LOOK AWAY NOW:

Should I just get a different brand? Something used and therefore cheap that I won't care if it gets hurt?

Sure as **** not gonna take my Tremonti head on the road. Nuh uh. No way. Not happenin, bro. Don't even go there.

I abuse the crap out of almost everything I own. Except guitar gear. I treat that stuff like it's made of stained glass from the pristine chapel

Or even some kind of small body guitar if space is an issue. As long as you get to practice/play!

Get an Epiphone Special II used (order off Reverb/Ebay and have it shipped to your house), drop it off at a music shop for a full fret level and setup (this will transform the guitar into a $1,000+ player, yes you can quibble about tone woods and pickups all you want, playing is what you need.). I have a Epi Special Junior I bought for $15 used and modded with split coil and fret level and it gets more play time than the fancier brands -- and it sounds as good too.

Get one of those Behringer V-amps or an old Line6 POD to plug into with headphones and make a couple of presets. Or a small 15w amp with presets. Or a small amp and a tiny pedal board you can kick through 'presets'.

Many days I get ten to fifteen minutes of play time with the guitars, I have a Line6 Spider 15w I cleared off the 'secret controls' and it finally sounded ok, then reprogrammed the four presets. Now I just tune up and punch in without any fiddling just like hitting the presets on the car/truck radio station buttons. No setup time is what you need.

I used to work with a guy that spent years OTR trucking and he said the big problem he saw, many of the drivers stop in the diners for a leisurely 'hour' at a time, stop for snacks and drinks, and generally mess around losing time here and there all day long. He was doing like you are, get up and rolling as quick as possible and keep those wheels running all day. You'll also get on some other routes eventually.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not to the point where I can lollygag like that yet.
When you get paid by the mile, you gotta put the miles down, or you don't make money.

I will look into these options when I have the chance.

I’ve had to practice recently, with our impending first gig. This is mainly because I don’t want to make fool out of myself or my bandmates.

I’ve got back into a regime, that I used to be in when I played regularly.

It’s been fun, but you make use of a few minutes where you can and it helps you direct your practice.

Yes there will be times where you are too tired and can’t be bothered. Don’t dwell on this, because it probably won’t be the right time. I find when I’m tired my fingers don’t want to work as they should. I stop myself and leave it until the next day.

Best of luck finding what works for you.

Yeah I'm not to the point where I can lollygag like that yet.
When you get paid by the mile, you gotta put the miles down, or you don't make money.

I will look into these options when I have the chance.

I don't know how the law works where you live but aren't you expected to take a break after so many hours of driving? You can't be on the road for 12+ hours continuously can you? At the very least, you may have the opportunity to get time here and there that you could get some guitar playing in. 10-15minutes a day is better than an 1-2hrs once a week...

By all means, contact Shawn Davis on bookface, in the PRS owners group- PRSGOW. He’s a helluva nice guy, and a guitar fanatic. He’s running out of Southern Maine, and somehow makes time.

Thanks for the support, boys.

It's not a space issue. I've got a backpack with my shower gear, a mini duffel with paper logs, visibility vest, DOT books, **** like that, my military issued duffel bag is standard for all traveling, and my military issued laundry bag for, well, laundry. Oh, and a purple playmate lunchbox with some doodads in it.

After endless ruck marches, I've learned to pack and travel light.

It's just time. Although, admittedly, I would've had maybe an hour today.

I'm scared to take my SE on the road and have her get hurt.

FELLOW BRAND WHORES, LOOK AWAY NOW:

Should I just get a different brand? Something used and therefore cheap that I won't care if it gets hurt?

Sure as **** not gonna take my Tremonti head on the road. Nuh uh. No way. Not happenin, bro. Don't even go there.

I abuse the crap out of almost everything I own. Except guitar gear. I treat that stuff like it's made of stained glass from the pristine chapel

Snag this, and a the Yamaha THR-5 or 10. Bingo, bango, bongo.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PRS/Singlecut-SE-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-114340593.gc

Back