Nitro Lacquer? Need a bit of advice.

DuncanCE22

I'm just about to purchase a new guitar rack and the one I'm looking at says its not suitable for guitars with Nitro Lacquer.

So my three questions are:

1. What is nitro lacquer?
2. Do PRS use nitro lacquer?
3. Why would a guitar stand not be suitable for nitro lacquer?

Please excuse my ignorance on this, I had never heard of nitro lacquer before today.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

1. It's a type of finish used on guitars. It's very thin. It's been used a lot since the 50s in various forms and a lot of guys really like the feel of instruments with it.
2. Yes, on some models, but only some - the majority do not. DGTs do, some limited editions do and some Private Stock guitars do, but that's about it.
3. The rubber will react with compounds in the nitro and acts as a thinner - it will cause it to "burn through." Will leave very ugly marks if that happens.

If the PRS guitars in your signature are still your current guitars, you have nothing to fear... those will be poly finished and not have an issue.

Edit: BZZZZZT, Wrong answer, cat! The CE has a nitro neck. Trouble ahead if your stand isn't nitro-safe!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, now I have to go check my stands, thanks for bringing it up in the first place, Duncan.

1. It's a type of finish used on guitars. It's very thin. It's been used a lot since the 50s in various forms and a lot of guys really like the feel of instruments with it.
2. Yes, on some models, but only some - the majority do not. DGTs do, some limited editions do and Private Stock guitars do, but that's about it.
3. The rubber will react with compounds in the nitro and acts as a thinner - it will cause it to "burn through." Will leave very ugly marks if that happens.

If the PRS guitars in your signature are still your current guitars, you have nothing to fear... those will be poly finished and not have an issue.

Thank you very much bud.

Just to be a little more detailed, nitro is nitrocellulose. It's an early-ish plastic finish, and it actually came into pretty wide use in the 20s-30s on cars, the biggest customers for paint finishes at the time. The instrument companies actually started using automotive paint on their guitars starting in the 30s.

The solid resins in nitro are cotton-based, and the solvent evaporates. Unfortunately, the finish melts when it comes into contact with certain rubbers, plastics, and chemicals used to treat leather. So you want to keep it away from the tan surgical rubber and some other rubbers, some plastics (plastics from some guitar straps often leech their solvents onto adjacent materials), and leather, but of course it's ok to use a leather strap with nitro, just take the strap off the guitar when you're done.

Some players love nitro, and so it's still in use, even though acrylic and poly finishes are nominally tougher. PRS V12 is a blend of the nitro stuff and a modern poly finish. PRS also still uses an acrylic on its S2s and SEs, and nitro on a few special runs, Private Stocks, the US made acoustics, etc. The DGT now uses V12.

There's a lot of debate among guitarists as to whether the nitro finish sounds any different than the other finishes. I like the look, feel and tone of guitars finished with nitro, but I'll be the first to admit that there may be a psychological component to the tone part. ;)

Finally, I've found the PRS "shatter hard" nitro to be as tough as most poly finishes in terms of resistance to abrasion and bumps.

Last edited:
Hold on a second!

Your CE has a nitro finish on its neck, you might want to skip this particular stand.

Isn't there an alternative? Put some clean, cotton shop rags between the guitar and the stand, perhaps?

Right maybe I'm being over paranoid with this.

this is the stand I'm looking at http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockstand_rs20881.htm

On this website 95% of the stands say they are not recommended for nitro lacquer, surely they can't all be bad for the finish?

Most are, unfortunately.

Check out 'Hercules' brand stands - they're the only ones I know of that are definitely safe.

Put a cloth between your guitar and the stand. Should be fine. I do this with my lip robot studio.

Back