NGD - Vela RL (reclaimed limited)

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by xjbebop, Sep 23, 2017.

1. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

I've already posted this in the appropriate threads, but am starting this separate thread to gather opinions of some personal touches.
    The day after these were announced, I placed my order with Sweetwater, and it finally arrived Thursday.
    Within a few weeks of the announcement, more and more photos of finished instruments were showing up. One day, for some reason, I decided the plain black pick guard was just not complimenting the fabulous woods used on these, and felt a tortoise shell P/G would be better, so I ordered one from PRS.
    I also went ahead and ordered some ebony tuner buttons and have had these items waiting for my guitar to arrive.
    So after swapping out the P/G yesterday, I'm not so sure if I like it better or not...it really changes the look of the guitar! On one hand, it somewhat detracts attention from the wood details. On the other, it does somewhat blend and warm the overall top. Hmmm...???
    It'll be easy enough to change back if I decide to, but I'm gonna let it soak in for a few days before I decide.
    I thought it would be fun to show the difference here and see what your opinions are, so please feel free to share your thoughts!
    I'm also interested to hear if these guitars settle in after lots of play time?? I don't think the old wood is used to being a guitar yet (it's DOM is 9/5/17), and it's voice is very tight & bright. If you've had one for at least a few months already, have you noticed any changes in the tone? I suspect they'll mellow a bit with age & playing... I expect it to just keep getting better.

Stock Form:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"personal touches" installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimi D, dogrocketp, flux and 9 others like this.
  2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Yaaass!

xjbebop likes this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I like! As a matter of fact, I'm gonna copy it! :)

xjbebop likes this.
  4. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

Nicely done.

5. charliefrench

charliefrench New Member

Lovely guitar. I think the tort looks okay but much prefer the plain black. Did you change the TRC too or is it just how the light caught it?

The demos that I have heard of this range sounded quite bright to me. Maybe this is a common trait. Does it trouble you at all? Are you able to tame it with the treble pot?

Edit: Long ago I bought a new classical guitar. It was not cheap, but it sounded ever so tight. At the time of purchase I convinced myself it would open up in time and the more I played it. Had it years and it never changed. Had to part with it eventually.

#5 charliefrench, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  6. drawshot

drawshot Just one more...and that's it!

I prefer the black guard, personally...because it matches the nut, TRC, knobs, and backdrop of the neck pup...and they all tie in, together.

That said. It's YOUR stunning RL Vela. If you dig the tortoise shell, run with It!

Either way, the Vela is 28 twisted kinds of awesome. Love the 'worn wood top on it.

7. Fro

Fro New Member

If it’s to bright you might try lowering the pickups. As for the pickguard, I suspect the tortoise would look better indoors without the sun shining on it. I prefer the original. Keep the ebony tuners.

8. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I'm tempted to order the Pearloid too. Just for sh!ts n giggles. If it's hideous, I guess I'd have to track down a black satin Vela......

g.wizz likes this.
  9. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I think the change is nice , I used to have a few Strats that I would change pickguards on from time to time just to change up the look :)

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Both are really nice! I agree with Rider, it's nice to change things up from time to time.

xjbebop likes this.
  11. g.wizz

g.wizz Nabs

Much better than the black IMO

bodia likes this.
  12. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Hmm, like any handsome man / beautiful woman, changing one set of nice looking clothes for another does change the look, but doesn't necessarily look better or worse. I think the changes you made to your Vela look great, but I think each of those items look great in stock form.

e.g.
    Stock chrome tuner buttons: match nicely with bridge pickup and neck pickup edges
    Ebony Tuner buttons: match the TRC, tops of tuners, and center of neck pickup, and pick-guard if still stock

ooglybong likes this.
  13. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

I appreciate and enjoy all the comments & opinions!
    "Mi Casa" and I are getting along just fine now as is... But this thread has given me a few more ideas... ;)
    I'll have more pics to post soon, but in the meantime, here are a few gut shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

grausch and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  14. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

The Starla bridge pickup is one of, if not the, brightest of PRS pickups, according to the man himself. I would look at changing that if adjusting the stock one doesn't get you there.

15. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum New Member

love that new pickguard!

16. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

Already did that with my first Vela...
    Gonna spend more time with this one... see what all it can do

Boogie likes this.
  17. bluenova

bluenova Electrified since '84

That black pickguard looks cool and is 100% business, and the tortoise looks cool and is 100% vibe.

bodia likes this.
  18. flux

flux 594 & CU24

That tortoise guard is the business. Made me scramble for the like button.

bodia likes this.
  19. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

It should surprise you. The tone control works very well and darkens to a sweet spot at about 3, for me. With the band this brightness is less noticeable.

xjbebop likes this.
  20. Hanzo Hamamura

Hanzo Hamamura New Member

The tort is cool, but that black guard to me is where it's at. It really lets the reclaimed wood stand out.

ooglybong likes this.