NGD.... soon --> update: Modern Eagle V Frost Bite Glow has landed !

SWEET!!!!

Congratulations! Hope she brings you a lot of Joy...

This is somewhat hilarious... the volume pot has essentially no effect whatsoever... I sense some incorrect wiring.

Alright, the eagle has landed... I picked up the guitar an hour ago from the UPS center.
It arrived safely and, it's official, I really like the Pattern neck profile.

With this I'm planning on parting with my CU24 Wood Library Fatback Frostbite and the Paul's Guitar (WL Charcoal):

yzs9O6Y.jpg

3YMMHy1.jpg

NNRMKlF.jpg

1rKudFk.jpg

iBqnXk6.jpg
Wow, gorgeous score, congrats
I think if you continue with this theme (top and color) is it far fetched that we might see a dragon next?

Congrats, that’s a stunner!

I had a volume pot on a PS that was a little wonky - a quick Arthur Fonzarelli tap or two was enough to get it working again. I may have seen a Happy Days re-run recently. :D

Congrats, that’s a stunner!

I had a volume pot on a PS that was a little wonky - a quick Arthur Fonzarelli tap or two was enough to get it working again. I may have seen a Happy Days re-run recently. :D

yeah but this one is more than a little wonky: overall volume is considerably lower than the Paul’s Guitar and the volume knob has no perceptible effect from 0 to 10...

yeah but this one is more than a little wonky: overall volume is considerably lower than the Paul’s Guitar and the volume knob has no perceptible effect from 0 to 10...
Bummer! Only one way to find out.

Bummer! Only one way to find out.

You were right, it's a just a wonky/bad volume pot rather than a wiring issue.

I started recording a video so I could share a video w/ PRS showing the volume pot having no effect. As I kept fiddling with it it eventually finally changed the volume as expected, and the output was comparable to the PG. Unfortunately, it's back to the initial behavior now and I can't quite get it to work again.

I'm not a native so I don't quite get the "Arthur Fonzarelli tap or two" reference, but it sounds like I should shoot PRS customer service an email either way.

Last edited:
You were right, it's a just a wonky/bad volume pot rather than a wiring issue.

I started recording a video so I could share a video w/ PRS showing the volume pot having no effect. As I kept fiddling with it it eventually having some proper volume change. Though it's back to the initial behavior now.

I'm not a native so I don't quite get the "Arthur Fonzarelli tap or two" reference, but it sounds like I should shoot PRS customer service an email either way.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Yeah, definitely call customer service instead of hitting the guitar with your elbow.

That's gorgeous...Congrats!!!!
(and WOW...bad solder joint???, or possibly dirt in the pot. Either way, we all know they will make this right)

The one Carlos is holding aint too shabby...

Wow, gorgeous score, congrats
I think if you continue with this theme (top and color) is it far fetched that we might see a dragon next?

Very. Although I had some mild interest in reserving one initially I decided to pass on it despite the likelihood of a great deal (it's all relative given MAP on that one).

Price aside:
- Getting one means putting a deposit sight unseen and I'm neither a fan of the super tight/even curly maple nor abrupt dragon breath transition seen on quite a few of them. That's too much risk without having a right to pass.
- It has no tremolo and is missing a middle pickup. I have a Paul's Guitar for that.
- Then there are the inlays: they're cool but I don't know how I'd feel playing on a floor of dead sea creatures (just kidding, somewhat). It's a guitar that'd be fantastic to look at but you can't hang it on the wall since the finish would disintegrate like a vampire in the Sahara desert.

That's gorgeous...Congrats!!!!
(and WOW...bad solder joint???, or possibly dirt in the pot. Either way, we all know they will make this right)

The one Carlos is holding aint too shabby...

Seems like an extremely dirty pot rather than bad solder joint
For now their advice is to contact the dealer. I might very well use the soldering iron myself to replace the pot and save the dealer the shipping expense of a round trip...

Last edited:
Very. Although I had some mild interest in reserving one initially I decided to pass on it despite the likelihood of a great deal (it's all relative given MAP on that one).

Price aside:
- Getting one means putting a deposit sight unseen and I'm neither a fan of the super tight/even curly maple nor abrupt dragon breath transition seen on quite a few of them. That's too much risk without having a right to pass.
- It has no tremolo and is missing a middle pickup. I have a Paul's Guitar for that.
- Then there are the inlays: they're cool but I don't know how I'd feel playing on a floor of dead sea creatures (just kidding, somewhat). It's a guitar that'd be fantastic to look at but you can't hang it on the wall since the finish would disintegrate like a vampire in the Sahara desert.

Seems like an extremely dirty pot rather than bad solder joint
For now their advice is to contact the dealer. I might very well use the soldering iron myself to replace the pot and save the dealer the shipping expense of a round trip...
Dirty volume pot was my issue- deep cleaning took care of it. A two finger tap did make it work again (before the cleaning). :)

I agree with you on ordering a guitar sight unseen. I’m way too picky these days to do that!

And it is now fixed...

The dealer, PRS, and I did a bit or troubleshooting.
Cleaning the pot didn't help so they suspected either a bad pot or intermittent connection/short at one of the joints/wires.

I was skeptical about the latter since 1) the problem was intermittent when fiddling only with the volume knob, 2) the solder joints at the volume seemed visually OK. However as I started touching the red wires and cap connected to the volume pot it became apparent that was indeed a bad solder joint.
Re-soldering two solder points in one of the least crowded spot of the cavity (still a mess) was a lot less daunting than replacing the entire pot and re-soldering everything connected to it, and certainly far more appealing than wasting time shipping it back to PRS.

A few minutes later everything works the way it should, fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Pic of the internals attached (it's a bit scary in there):
lvgwrxH.jpg

Last edited:
And it is now fixed...

The dealer, PRS, and I did a bit or troubleshooting.
Cleaning the pot didn't help so they suspected either a bad pot or intermittent connection/short at one of the joints/wires.

I was skeptical about the latter since 1) the problem was intermittent when fiddling only with the volume knob, 2) the solder joints at the volume seemed visually OK. However as I started touching the red wires and cap connected to the volume pot it became apparent that was indeed a bad solder joint.
Re-soldering two solder points in one of the least crowded spot of the cavity (still a mess) was a lot less daunting than replacing the entire pot and re-soldering everything connected to it, and certainly far more appealing than wasting time shipping it back to PRS.

A few minutes later everything works the way it should, fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Pic of the internals attached (it's a bit scary in there):
lvgwrxH.jpg
WOW, that is some serious dedication to safety of the finish while soldiering!

I'm comparably far too cavalier, methinks.

WOW, that is some serious dedication to safety of the finish while soldiering!

I'm comparably far too cavalier, methinks.

Considering I had couple mishaps in the past on guitars I built that's really the only way I would have considered touching this one, even for something as seemingly safe and quick to do as re-doing two solder joints.

Thank you for brightening my dreary day at work this morning.
Can't take my eyes off the screen.

Back