NGD - NOS/used(?) McCarty Korina Brazilian Soapbar

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Well, something got delivered a day early, so I don't have an amp with me to try it out right now:

20160519_132933_1024_zpsequzhjwu.jpg

20160519_102055_1024_zpst3nwtqjd.jpg

20160519_133046_1024_zpsbklplp4g.jpg

Now curiously, the above photos represent how it looks to my eyes, but only after I did a little hue/whitebalance adjustment.

[Note/Edit: I re-did the hue adjustment and re-uploaded, because the final image presented here looked a touch too green. What I see above now looks pretty bang-on.]

The camera recorded it this way:

20160519_102010_1024_zpswk8pgy14.jpg

Maybe this explains my confusion mentioned in my "GAS treatments" thread about what color it really is, officially. the camera makes it look like it is truly Sapphire Smokeburst, but my eyes see it as something with a bit more green in there, similar to a color I have seen listed on the PRS site as Black and Blue Matteo.

I've had even more people comment on the color, remarking on how it looks just that little bit different with that hint of green.

Anyway...it plays very very nicely, but as mentioned, with no amp here at work I haven't had a chance to hear the pickups.

The brazzy board seems a little slipperier than "normal" (Indian) rosewood, a bit more like ebony if you will. The graining or whatever you call that texture is very close and small, which I'm sure contributes to that feel. The streakiness is nice but not too obvious.

End of the work day can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
Yep, Dave's. This guitar was in the used section (online), and at a slightly lower price compared to the other Brazzy McCarty Korinas, but it looks brand new, not a hint of buckle rash, fretwear, anything.

My guitar-playing co-workers have been quite fascinated. And remarkably, a number of them know about the whole Brazzy-wood export ban thing.

Love it! Looks cool with the pallet backdrop too! Time to invest in a little Pignose, or something, for the office!

Never thought it would look so vibrant looking at Dave's site

You picked a gorgeous one congrats and enjoy it brother

Love it! Looks cool with the pallet backdrop too! Time to invest in a little Pignose, or something, for the office!
Yeah, hmm, a Pignose or similar sounds like a plan...a good Christmas or B-day present perhaps.

The pallets do look rather good, don't they? They were a complete fluke, I just wanted somewhere I could open up the case and lean the guitar up and not be paranoid about it falling to the concrete.
Never thought it would look so vibrant looking at Dave's site

You picked a gorgeous one congrats and enjoy it brother
Yeah, it looked pretty good online, but in person I certainly was quite chuffed when I saw it!

Congrats, I bet it sounds great.
Sorry about the color, Sergio...

We have band practice tonight, so I might be able to break it out for a couple of songs, but we're practicing for our "all-Irish, all-the-time" gig slot, so I'm usually 100% mandolin for those gigs now.

Yeah, hmm, a Pignose or similar sounds like a plan...a good Christmas or B-day present perhaps.

The pallets do look rather good, don't they? They were a complete fluke, I just wanted somewhere I could open up the case and lean the guitar up and not be paranoid about it falling to the concrete.

Yeah, it looked pretty good online, but in person I certainly was quite chuffed when I saw it!
Yep, those pallets make me think you're about ready to rock some roadhouse out in the boonies!

Stonkin'!

(...I mean, for a blue guitar...)

I like the way the grain shows through. Here's to hoping she sounds as good as she looks.

Last edited:
Beautiful!

The blue is exquisite. I love the way it glows through in the sun. ;)

Now that I have a blue guitar, I'm all about blue guitars.

Last edited:
It's mostly black. :)
Indeed, it is. And the black looks very nice and glossy.
Beautiful!

The blue is exquisite. I love the way it glows through in the sun. ;)

Now that I have a blue guitar, I'm all about blue guitars.
The color really does look very nice in the full sun. If I played on big stages with spotlights and overhead trusses full of lights I'd really love to see how it looks that way, but we'll have to see what it looks like in small pubs and bars instead with "ok" mood lighting and/or fluorescents (bleh).

I used it at practice tonight, and it sounded really good. Nice stuff from those soapbars, but they also sound good clean with some acoustic model/image processing towards a pseudo-acoustic sound - not as good as a piezo, but good enough for a song that needs to mix it up but still have strong electric leads/solos.

And my bandmates really liked the blue too.

Back