NGD: New Standard 24, now I have muliple PRS

horax

Was looking for a higher end model, but ended up getting an EXCELLENT deal on this one. It was basically brand new, but got it for a used price.

Big shout out to Daves Guitar shop for being easy to work wtih, and for TOP NOTCH quality service. Amazing people who I WILL buy from again.

Anyway, my first PRS was/is an S2 Standard Singlecut. Amazing 22 fret guitar that made me buy in to the PRS family. I wanted something different. Something with a wiggle stick, hotter pickups, different feel.

I went to a local shop and found an SE CUstome that was amazing! Whale blue flamed maple top. Loved it.
Price was a bit higher than I WANTED (but was willing) to pay. I decided to look around and find something used.

Enter Daves.

This is where I found Sapphire. A translucent blue Standard wtih binding that pops and red hot 85/15s pickups.

She has a thinner neck than I prefer, but it's not a bad thing. The birdies are mother of toilet seat, compared to the pure cream birds on the S2. They look real nice, though. Not complaining.

I"ve found it's very responsive on rolling the volume up and down adn dialing in quick OD. Awesome.

The 24 fret access makes it VERY nice when playing Santana based stuff...very quick and lots of room. I like it.

Anyway, here are some photos:

She's blue, not black:

38421320_10216697079050530_6022191185815142400_n.jpg

38469610_10216697079130532_1282694705959665664_n.jpg

38405349_10216679436249471_3401667171342876672_n.jpg
38284439_10216679436329473_2560793414660521984_n.jpg

38391583_10216679436209470_5892046598640238592_n.jpg

I was playing my Standard last night. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine. :)

Congrats man, very nice! It’s cool having different models...and addicting. The thing that sucks is, PRS never stops coming up with great new models. I never like contemplating selling one to get another. That’s the big dilemma you’ll have with PRS. “sigh...”

Congrats man, very nice! It’s cool having different models...and addicting. The thing that sucks is, PRS never stops coming up with great new models. I never like contemplating selling one to get another. That’s the big dilemma you’ll have with PRS. “sigh...”

Yeah, I've figured I could sell the SE to 'upgrade' to a higher end model, but the thing is...if it ain't broke, why fix it?
It plays well, it feels good, why get rid of it?

Yeah, I've figured I could sell the SE to 'upgrade' to a higher end model, but the thing is...if it ain't broke, why fix it?
Exactly man, I’ve got the perfect trio (not including my Tremonti se) and I can’t imagine selling one, but man... I sure am jonesing for a McCarty 594 hollowbody or a reg. 594.

and you know, I get that it's only an SE, entry level, whatever...but I've been a long time singlecut guy...mostly tele.
I've never gotten along well with double cuts.

I've tried strats and hate them. The three pickups get in the way and theyr'e just not comfortable.

This standard 24 seems to have hit all the points needed. It's like a strat on steroids without the middle pickup but WITH coil splitting.
If it had a thicker neck it would be the best guitar of all time. ;)

Very glad I'm seeing the best of both worlds here.

I recently grabbed a Standard 22 Hardtail from Daves and it was a brand new guitar that they sell at used prices but it was a model they bought up a 2017, great guitar for the peanuts I paid much nicer than any Epiphone or anything in that price range and stays in tune like my USA models, it was a winner!

I recently grabbed a Standard 22 Hardtail from Daves and it was a brand new guitar that they sell at used prices but it was a model they bought up a 2017, great guitar for the peanuts I paid much nicer than any Epiphone or anything in that price range and stays in tune like my USA models, it was a winner!

I'm pretty sure that's what mine was...or a floor model or something.
It was listed as used but it still had everything on it (hang tags from the factory included) so how USED could it really have been?

@Russ73 I'd like to see yours

I'm pretty sure that's what mine was...or a floor model or something.
It was listed as used but it still had everything on it (hang tags from the factory included) so how USED could it really have been?

@Russ73 I'd like to see yours
OP even if it was hanging on the wall for a year which im sure it wasn't its still much less used than a guitar hanging on the wall at GC or Sam Ash, I was told by the salesman in Madison that a lot of those guitars are new they just cant list them at those prices as new so they sell them in the used section, either way great deal shipped with no tax its a no brainer, enjoy your new guitar!

Was looking for a higher end model, but ended up getting an EXCELLENT deal on this one. It was basically brand new, but got it for a used price.

Big shout out to Daves Guitar shop for being easy to work wtih, and for TOP NOTCH quality service. Amazing people who I WILL buy from again.

Anyway, my first PRS was/is an S2 Standard Singlecut. Amazing 22 fret guitar that made me buy in to the PRS family. I wanted something different. Something with a wiggle stick, hotter pickups, different feel.

I went to a local shop and found an SE CUstome that was amazing! Whale blue flamed maple top. Loved it.
Price was a bit higher than I WANTED (but was willing) to pay. I decided to look around and find something used.

Enter Daves.

This is where I found Sapphire. A translucent blue Standard wtih binding that pops and red hot 85/15s pickups.

She has a thinner neck than I prefer, but it's not a bad thing. The birdies are mother of toilet seat, compared to the pure cream birds on the S2. They look real nice, though. Not complaining.

I"ve found it's very responsive on rolling the volume up and down adn dialing in quick OD. Awesome.

The 24 fret access makes it VERY nice when playing Santana based stuff...very quick and lots of room. I like it.

Anyway, here are some photos:

She's blue, not black:

38421320_10216697079050530_6022191185815142400_n.jpg

38469610_10216697079130532_1282694705959665664_n.jpg

38405349_10216679436249471_3401667171342876672_n.jpg
38284439_10216679436329473_2560793414660521984_n.jpg

38391583_10216679436209470_5892046598640238592_n.jpg

The colour of that SC is stupid bada$$!

Personally I have the Core Custom 24 but would be 'happy' with an SE too. The standard SE doesn't have the maple cap (whether solid like a Core or cap with a veneer like the SE Custom) which does change the sound a bit - not so bright in my opinion and I believe you don't get a choice of the Pattern Regular or Thin necks with an SE. The necks are 3 pieces too on an SE - not that it makes a big difference but just showing where the 'difference' is in the cost. I believe the Trem and Tuners are based on older PRS designs, not the Gen 3 trem/Phase 3 locking tuners and you don't get all the body contouring either. I know the PU's are 85/15s so I assume they are very similar to the US made 85/15's too. They are sent to the US after being built for a check and set-up before being shipped to dealers so you are getting a guitar that passed through PRS scrutiny.

Ultimately an SE is very similar to the Core but with a lower price point. Its clear that a LOT of professional musicians will happily gig with a PRS SE which obviously says a lot. I do prefer the fact that they have PRS signature on the headstock as the 'PRS' initials looked cheap. It looks like a US PRS until you really look close to see the 'SE'.

It really doesn't surprise me though that the SE's are highly regarded in their Price point. I would be happy to own one myself, as I said, than spend more on some other makes of guitar. I love my Core's though and do think there is something 'extra' in them (maybe psychological) but its a relatively small difference - especially when compared to the price difference.

As for, if it ain't broke... that's the SE in a nutshell so to speak. The Core came first and the SE is a case if it ain't broke, there is no need to fix anything. Its a case of taking that 'Core' model and trying to replicate that at a lower price-point which then opens up a much larger user base. If you aspire to owning a core PRS custom 24 (let alone the 10-top, AP or PS models) and can't afford or justify the price tag, PRS offer this at various different price points thus giving everyone an opportunity to own one.

I don't know if SE owners feel the need or desire to own a Core PRS in the same way that say an Epiphone or Squire owner has ambition to own a Gibson or Fender. That is also testament to how good the SE's are...

Yours is a fantastic blue, here in the UK the 2018 models seem to have a veneer on front & back so they look like one piece bodies. I would love a SE standard 24 as a back up for my 2001 core standard (it's just a beautiful colour I don't taking it to rowdy gigs) - wish I'd got the standard 22 while they were still available ahh well. I bet with a pickup upgrade and new pots you could get it close to the old core standards.

My 2001 core Standard 22 in Trans Purple

My son has a SE standard 245 that is fantastic ( i actually prefer it over a a couple of my Korean SE singlecuts)

Back