NGD: My first PRS! New S2 Custom 24!

Creag

We dance on the strings
I started playing almost 20 years ago, started with a Squier Standard Stratocaster that has since been my one and only electric guitar. It has slowly evolved over the years into a Partscaster and has become truly mine, and I've had a hard time letting myself buy and play anything else. But I've always had my eye on PRS guitars, and finally let myself get one. A new 2019 S2 Custom 24 in Whale Blue. Having so much fun with it! Learning a ton here on the forums and already planning on how to make this one truly mine as well.

img

KVnOoaA.jpg

8TXx4NX.jpg

Nice! Congrats on your first and welcome to the club!

I didn't know they put the zebra's on the S2 series....interesting

Nice! Congrats on your first and welcome to the club!

I didn't know they put the zebra's on the S2 series....interesting

I didn't think they did either? Just got one myself, all black humbuckers. OP, what mods are you going to do?

Looking at the John Mann 2000NOS bridge and some covered pickups. Debating between a PRS Dragon II set or a Duncan JB/Jazz combo.
Congrats! I hope you love your S2 Cu24 every bit as much as I love mine.

Give the stock 85/15 “S” pickups a chance. They have real character. (You can always buy covers for them if you don’t dig the zebra thing.)

Give the stock 85/15 “S” pickups a chance. They have real character. (You can always buy covers for them if you don’t dig the zebra thing.)

They're growing on me. I put DiMarzio Super Distortions in my Strat and love the classic metal tone I get out of it. These 85/15 pickups aren't quite as hot but certainly capable. I'll for sure give it time to get better acquainted with the guitar before I start swapping things out.

Also, don’t hesitate to adjust pup heights to change the tones, it can make a nice difference. You can even raise or lower just one side of the pup or the other to get the response you want, they don’t have to be the same height on both sides.

@ElrytNamrogo I believe it's a GC exclusive on the zebra pickups.

@IRG Looking at the John Mann 2000NOS bridge and some covered pickups. Debating between a PRS Dragon II set or a Duncan JB/Jazz combo.

I have the JB/Jazz in my Les Paul, and I do like them in that guitar. I'm not a huge PAF fan I guess.

But I like the 85/15 S set a lot too. I have them in my new SE Mira as well. I just got a Revv G3 pedal, and man, this thing rips. And I use a bluesy, solid state amp (Roland Blues Cube Artist). This pedal turns both of my PRSi into a rip snorting metal dragon slayer. Surprised by how effective this pedal is.

@IRG Good insight, thanks! I was actually just checking out some eq/preamp/boost pedals earlier today. I think it'll help get that extra little bite outta these pickups that I need!

Back