NGD - Korina McCarty Brazilian

Guitar_Brat

I just received a NOS 2007/13 Korina McCarty with Brazilian Finger board from Daves. It is a nice guitar and it truly rings out acoustically/unplugged. I've compared it to most of my other PRS guitars, "Trem and Non-Trem" and this one has fantastic body resonance. Almost like this guitar has a hollow chamber. I guess when I say better, I mean the strings sound more live and vibrate louder, it does not sound tinty, I would almost describe it as having fuller darker tone. The Pickups sound nice but are much lower output in comparison than my other PRS guitars. Although I'm tempted to update them, it really makes no sense other than to satisfy my need to "tinker"

This guitar does have a very Chubby Neck. It is described as Wide/Fat. I measured it and really it is not any wider at the Nut than my other PRS Guitars but it is certainly Fatter.
Here are the Measurements
  • Nut width - 1.71
  • @ 3rd fret Thickness - .905
  • @ 12th fret Thickness - .990
Although I have played it now for like two hours straight, I can feel my hand as some fatigue from the thicker neck and playing Bar chords. It is comfortable enough for soloing, but I'm not really a shredder so speed is not my thing.

I liked the simple wood grain on the top. It starts out straight at the neck and then kinda of flares as the body widens.

I recently bought two CU24's with Pattern Thin Natural Flame necks and I definitely enjoying playing those more than this McCarty, but this is still a keeper and it will get played as frequently as possible.

IMG_5633_zps5jwopcjr.jpg

IMG_5635_zpsp0i3f9ai.jpg

IMG_5634_zpsx8nr0v8i.jpg

Wow, very nice looking instrument.
I love when a guitar rings out acoustically, I never thought it would be important but now that I don't always get to connect to my amplifier, it can be something favoured. Cheers on your new guitar!

I have been eyeing those up @ Dave's for awhile now...you chose a great looking one! Hope she continues to impress...congrats!

Congrats on that one!

Ditto on the comments above regarding Dave's. I played an Translucent Orange one of the 2007 NOS McKorinas there last year. It had that same feel you describe when played unplugged. I notice it's still there too.......

I have been eyeing those up @ Dave's for awhile now...you chose a great looking one! Hope she continues to impress...congrats!
Hey CantankerousCarl same here, I have been eyeing them for a while. They had two up on the site that but then all of the sudden I notice the little icon that said "New listing". Sure enough these were two new ones, the one I bought with Chrome and one with Gold hardware. I was attracted by the grain on the one that I bought.

This is my first Korina wood so I did not know what to expect, but this guitar really resonates.

The McKorinas are truly special guitars! But if you really want a treat, try one with soapbars. You'll thank me later...

This guy knows where it's at.

My 2007 McKorinaSoapyBraz from Daves has become my favorite PRS guitar. It sounds soooo good.

Congrats OP!

Thank you for buying that particular guitar. I`ve been waiting for the hospital to call me with a quote on one of my kidneys. Now I won`t answer the call.

Last edited:
Nice guitar! Like a few people above, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one of those from Dave's. I have a P22 that I am not THAT quite happy with, and hoping a McCarty Korina will give me a much fuller, bolder, vintage-ish vibe and tone which I am looking for (my #1 has been an SE Bernie for along time so I guess I'm looking for something similar).

Funny enough I've been looking at this finish too.

Back