NGD Custom 24 Floyd, first impressions....Hells Yeah!

Raven17

Joey Tatts
FedEx man rang my doorbell today with a package from DD and The Wild West. Inside was the sweetest looking black quilted 10-top. Maple neck, ebony fingerboard, \m/ pups and a Floyd Rose. There's something sweet about the smell when you open a PRS guitar case....IRW & Brazzys especially. Gun D had it setup with my favorite strings and the action just right. Gun D is a freaking artist! I've owned SE CU24 Floyd (very nice) and SE Torero (just ok) so I did t know what to expect. I'm an 80's guy, love my Kramer Beretta and my Charvel's and Jackson's. I came to PRS late in life and although I've grown to love the PRS tremolo I've always wanted one on a core PRS. I've come so close multiple time pulling the trigger on a Private Stock or sending one to the PTC for a remodel.

So back to business. The guitar is brilliant. You'd never know PRS was fairly new to Floyd's. With the wide thin carve and the flawless setup it plays like butter. I love ebony fingerboards so no surprises there. The \m/ are not as hot as I expected, I'm a huge fan of Mark Tremontis pickup, I expected these to be hotter and they're not. Close, different, really good overall, but not hotter. That's ok, they already have a Tremonti pickup and different is better than ok here because it's given me a guitar that still has balls and has different voicing than my Tremontis. For all those worrying about the \m/ pups being too aggressive for you, fear not, they are like uncovered 57/08's with bigger balls. The maple neck works perfectly with this build combo. All in all I love it. So much so that I will be sending in SAS for a Floyd install. :rock:

Last edited:
By purple cousin do you mean the SE? If so it's a great guitar, but a totally different feel and sound. The stock SE pups are surprising great, I had intended on putting \m/ pups in but changed my mind. The SE pups are that good, but much more typical PRS offering. The biggest difference between them is the weight, feel and look. Gotta love that core PRS maple top! If I'd never bought the core CU24 I'd be completely happy with the SE.

If you weren't asking about the SE with your purple cousin question......disregard the above. LOL

...All in all I love it. So much so that I will be sending in SAS for a Floyd install. :rock:

Congrats to your beautiful new guitar!

Skitchy has some experience in installing Floyds :wink: he will do a brilliant job.

That is one amazing guitar! I wasn't aware of the availability of uncovered \m/ pickups. Very nice!

Freakin nice guitar!!! There was a time when I wouldn't have a guitar without a floyd but now I'm pretty happy with the PRS trem. I do still have one floyd guitar though, sometimes you just gotta have it.

I had no idea you could get uncovered M pickups! WTH????? The only reason I didn't put one in my ce24 is because it wouldn't look right to me. I am happy to hear they aren't so hot though.

Good score!

Would you please stop it?!! Your NGD's are truly testing my will power and resolve!

And BTW, as usual, sweet piece!

thats a mighty fine looking axe. Watch out for major dive bombing on that floyd rose! coming to an amplifier near you!

Back