NG on the way D..... first ever SE

88prs

OCD for PRS
So I have been strictly a Cores only owner since my 1988 CU24... CU22, McCarty's, etc but never a Hollowbody.

I wanted a HBII really bad but at 7 grand??? really! ouch....

I ordered an SE HBII (non-piezo) in Black Gold Burst....

What can I expect?

Thanks!

In my experience with four SE245s one had a bad enough fretboard that it needed to be returned. The other three are great.

So some QC issues with the SEs but overall great value.

I have several SE's, and quality has always been very good. I'm a huge HB fan, I have 3 of them. Only one Core though - the other 2 are SE Piezo and SE II. I think you're getting a great guitar and you'll be very happy, congrats!

I was in a similar boat..wanted a HB but the core price was too steep for a HB that I'd only occasionally play. I picked up the non piezo se HBII. Killer guitar. While waiting for my finish to come in I picked up a set of 5815LT and locking tuners. The LT never made the swap. After much tweaking the 5815s dialed in sound great and arent going anywhere! The locking tuners have yet to be installed but will be at the first string change.

I was in a similar boat..wanted a HB but the core price was too steep for a HB that I'd only occasionally play. I picked up the non piezo se HBII. Killer guitar. While waiting for my finish to come in I picked up a set of 5815LT and locking tuners. The LT never made the swap. After much tweaking the 5815s dialed in sound great and arent going anywhere! The locking tuners have yet to be installed but will be at the first string change.

Likewise. I got a SE HB Standard and believed it was a foregone conclusion that I would be switching the pickups out...nope. The guitar is perfect just the way it is.

I bought my first ( new) SE and I cannot believe the quality for the dough ratio!!!! I am sooooooo an S2 guy (even though I own and have had multiple cores), I will never overlook an SE , or look at one the same again! Awesomeness!

I have three SE's, a Custom 24, a 245 and a Silver Sky and all look, sound and play great. I'm a beginner but I've spent enough time at GC to have handled some not-as-nice guitars in a similar price range.

I sure hope I don't offend anyone, but I've had the hollowbody a couple weeks now and it would not stay in tune but sounds very good! I removed the tuners to see that they a Gotoh imitations.... So I got some actual Gotoh tuners. The stock are slightly heavier (1.3oz Gotoh 1.1oz) and now I have a dead spot 11th fret B String and 15th G string (Bb)... Tuning is great though....

I put a capo on the headstock to add more mass and the problem goes away.... so,,, put the old tuners back on and deal with it????

Last edited:
Back