New tuners for my PRS P20E Parlor

IgalPorat

2517-1-feed-1-1200.jpg

Hi guys,
I've been looking to change the tuners on my PRS P20E and the Stewmac golden age came up. Did anyone try them on their P20? Do the fit (simple change) or is there a need for drilling?
Thanks.

I did this. I was the guy who posted a thread here a while back about the whole thing because I tried Gotoh's and discovered that the headstock was too thick (thread with measurements and photos is here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/tuner-design-issue.47827/

I found the StewMacs and the drawings showed the post should work so I installed them. No reaming out the holes was required, they dropped right in and fit into the existing screw holes in the back. Frankly they came with bushings but I believe I threw the new bushings out and just put them right into the already installed factory ones. Photos below. Don't blame me for the one crooked one, that's how it cam from the factory. The only "flaw" in it.

Headstock-with-New-Tuners.jpg

Headstock-Side-With-New-Tuners.jpg

Headstock-Read-with-New-Tuners.jpg

Last edited:
They are great. The old ones were pretty good too, not sure they are better but they are smooth and definitely hold tune. I do use that techniqe of wrapping my strings in the posts in such a way that they get locked between two winds so that helps, of course. But these tuners have no looseness too them, they feel good.

Awesome! I just ordered mine. I hate the feeling of turning the tuning peg and nothing happens, especially when it's not smooth.
Thanks for the advice.

I did this. I was the guy who posted a thread here a while back about the whole thing because I tried Gotoh's and discovered that the headstock was too thick (thread with measurements and photos is here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/tuner-design-issue.47827/

I found the StewMacs and the drawings showed the post should work so I installed them. No reaming out the holes was required, they dropped right in and fit into the existing screw holes in the back. Frankly they came with bushings but I believe I threw the new bushings out and just put them right into the already installed factory ones. Photos below. Don't blame me for the one crooked one, that's how it cam from the factory. The only "flaw" in it.

Headstock-with-New-Tuners.jpg

Headstock-Side-With-New-Tuners.jpg

Headstock-Read-with-New-Tuners.jpg
I've had the same problem with the original head splitting away from the shaft. I replaced the whole six with Wilkinson WJ-44 around £25.00 for the set if you shop around. As a personal preference, I went with the black versions to match with the headstock. Perfectly straightforward swap takes about 20 mins.

Sucks that PRS used crap tuners on a nice guitar otherwise. I had them replace the 1st one that broke, but then had a 2nd one break last weekend. If anyone is looking for some quality, very reasonably priced, replacement tuners, I have found that these are a drop in replacement and were less than $20 when I ordered them on Amazon. Took a chance they would fit and am very happy with the look and quality of these inexpensive tuners. Just received and installed 8/3/22. Can't seem to get my photo's to display, here's a link to them installed. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dw2tYBi5J1jqf4c78

Golden Gate F-2215 Vintage Acoustic Guitar Tuners

Last edited:
Back