New to the forum, PRS and NGD

Birdwatcher

Hi all!
I just joined the forum today and got my first PRS one week ago!
I am a proud owner of a PRS Custom 24 30th Ann. from the final run (for Europe) #97/100.
What a guitar! I played so many different guitars through all price ranges but something like this never ever came to my hands. The action, the sound, everything is just better than everything I ever played before. I also own a ESP Horizon from the Std series but the PRS is just so much better!

But there's one thing that really bothers me. It's the craftsmanship around the 5 way blade. One of the screws is not sitting correctly in the dedicated milling. It actually sits on the edge of the milling and for a guitar of this price range, I expected a perfect fitting. Anyhow I will keep this guitar because everything else is just phenomenal. I would very much like to upload a picture so you could judge yourself and let me know what you think but somehow I cannot find/ don't understand how to upload a picture from my mac. Any tips?

do you also recognize some - let' say - to be improved craftsmanship esp around the blade?

I am really looking forward to be part of this forum and thanks a lot in advance for any feedback!

cheers

Hi all!
I just joined the forum today and got my first PRS one week ago!
I am a proud owner of a PRS Custom 24 30th Ann. from the final run (for Europe) #97/100.
What a guitar! I played so many different guitars through all price ranges but something like this never ever came to my hands. The action, the sound, everything is just better than everything I ever played before. I also own a ESP Horizon from the Std series but the PRS is just so much better!

But there's one thing that really bothers me. It's the craftsmanship around the 5 way blade. One of the screws is not sitting correctly in the dedicated milling. It actually sits on the edge of the milling and for a guitar of this price range, I expected a perfect fitting. Anyhow I will keep this guitar because everything else is just phenomenal. I would very much like to upload a picture so you could judge yourself and let me know what you think but somehow I cannot find/ don't understand how to upload a picture from my mac. Any tips?

do you also recognize some - let' say - to be improved craftsmanship esp around the blade?

I am really looking forward to be part of this forum and thanks a lot in advance for any feedback!

cheers
Welcome aboard! And, congrats on the first (of many!) PRSes. You can't do pics from a device, it needs to be from a photo hosting site. Check out this thread.
http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/how-to-post-pics.932/

As for craftmanship around the blade, don't notice an issue on any of mine. Would really like to see pics.

Hi bodia,

thanks a lot for the help! so hope this works?
IMG_3053_zpsx5rkf6lr.jpg

Thanks Alan!
It is definitely superb! I was not sure if I should spend so much money on a guitar but it is worth every penny.
The only thing I would change is the blade. I would very much like to bring it to a luthier I know but I am not sure if I should mess with the guitar :)

Yes I did. Fortunately the switch works fine. The hole where the screw sits is drilled incorrect I fear. This is also what my local shop told me

Yes I did. Fortunately the switch works fine. The hole where the screw sits is drilled incorrect I fear. This is also what my local shop told me

Unlikely, I'm pretty sure that hole was drilled as part of the CNC initial shaping, that would mean it was wrong on ALL of the Custom 24 30th Anniversary guitars.

Though I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I have an associate's degree in being wrong.

I'm looking at my 2014 Wood Library Cu24, I could MAYBE say the same thing. I don't have my phone handy, or I'd take a pic and post it too. If I were splitting hairs, I would say it's a red hair off center. That's being overly critical when looking at my guitar though. Personally, I wouldn't do a thing about it if the blade movement isn't impeded in anyway. I get that you plunked down a big chunk of change on that beauty, and that it should be correct. I'm just not sure if it would be a red flag in my book. Not saying you shouldn't take any sort of action, just rambling on my end!

I have to correct myself... so you are right. the hole for the screw sits correct but the milling hole (if this is the correct word?) sits not correct I would say. maybe I am a little too picky but between screw head an milling there's a gap which looks "dirty" and pretty dark as if there are leftovers from the polish, dust etc... nevertheless this is just a minor thing and nothing that affects sound. but for that amount of money I would have liked it to be perfect :)
IMG_3054_zpseid5qnsq.jpg

The switches aren't manufactured by PRS I believe; if there's any imperfection, I think it'd be the switch, and not the way PRS prepped the body of the guitar. As Ruger says, the bodies are milled on a CNC machine. It doesn't make mistakes.

But small stamped metal parts like switches are often the problem. Stamped metal parts are often inconsistent and out-of-spec.

If you're really unhappy, perhaps your dealer could order a new switch and replace the one that's in the guitar.

Meantime, I have a CU24 30th PS model, and I love it, so I completely understand why you like the guitar!

Here's a pic of mine - and by the way, the Switchcraft toggle switch has started to go wonky. As I said, PRS doesn't make the switches, so it's not their fault.

Last edited:
It wouldn't bother me, but if it does you, I'd say ask for a warranty covered repair from the retailor you got it from. If you use a luthier, your warranty may be void.

So I have decided to leave the guitar as it is since is a minor optic "issue" but nothing that keeps me from having the most fun ever playing it. really I thought going into detail with my first post, why I like it so much compared to e.g. my ESP but it is just so hard to describe. Maybe the best way is to say "I feel home" - search is over. at least for a model :) it would be great to own a private stock one day but this is some future me has to decide :)

so enclosed is the picture of the whole guitar. I especially love the hybrid hardware. man these tuners look awesome :D
FullSizeRender_zpsnqgvr9hq.jpg

Nice guitar... congrats!
As for your switch 'issue', how much time do you spend looking at that while you are actually playing the guitar?
I understand your point, but that tiny imperfection shouldn't be a deal breaker. As Les mentioned, they have to mill the guitar to accommodate the common switches that might end up in there.
It's not like the neck is going to fall off.... now rock that sucka! :cool:

That is one hot guitar! Love the color!!! Enjoy that bad mama-jama loud and proud!

As for your switch issue, Les is right on. It's definitely an issue with the way the switches are machined. I looked at my other 2 with blades last night (2011 Studio and 2013 408). Neither one of them is really "centered." The Studio is very close rubbing on the cut out, while the 408 is a little off from left to right. Probably the last time I'll ever look at it.

Back