New to PRS - should the middle and neck positions on an SE 24 sound so similar?

GreenMonkey

Hey guys.

New PRS owner here. Ive recently got my hands on an SE Custom 24 (the older non coil tapped one). Overall I'm really impressed with the guitar, it feels amazing to play and has great tone

The only thing that I've noticed that's puzzling me, is that the neck and middle positions sound almost identical (there is a difference but it's very subtle and mainly in the higher 3 strings). This is with the pickups roughly set up as per PRS guidlines.

I have fiddled a little with the heights and it does make something of a difference lowering the neck and raising the bridge but then there's a big difference in volume between the two pickups.

I appreciate that this is a 24 fret guitar (I'm coming from a Les Paul which had a much greater difference between then neck and middle positions) is this just the way they sound given the difference in pickup placement?

In my experience the neck pickup tends to dominate the middle position of the pickups are set for matching volumes. I just get a little bit of extra treble in middle vs. Neck.

In my experience the neck pickup tends to dominate the middle position of the pickups are set for matching volumes. I just get a little bit of extra treble in middle vs. Neck.

So this is normal? As long as it's the way it's meant to be that's ok. I just thought maybe the wiring was shot in mine.

I'd say normal. It's pretty subtle, especially if you're playing with moderate amounts of gain. The cleaner the sound, the more you can hear the difference.

I'd say normal. It's pretty subtle, especially if you're playing with moderate amounts of gain. The cleaner the sound, the more you can hear the difference.

It is subtle, especially coming from a Les Paul where subtlety isn't really part of the equation at all with terms of tone!

Last edited:
The only thing that I've noticed that's puzzling me, is that the neck and middle positions sound almost identical (there is a difference but it's very subtle and mainly in the higher 3 strings). This is with the pickups roughly set up as per PRS guidlines.

I have an SE Custom 24 with the HFS/VB pickups. When I first bought it I couldn't hear any difference between the neck and middle positions. Eventually I brought it back and the tech discovered that the pickup selector switch was bad. After he put in a new switch the middle position sound is a clear blend (as it should be).

I have an SE Custom 24 with the HFS/VB pickups. When I first bought it I couldn't hear any difference between the neck and middle positions. Eventually I brought it back and the tech discovered that the pickup selector switch was bad. After he put in a new switch the middle position sound is a clear blend (as it should be).

The switch is definitely ok, I had the whole guitar checked over by a tech. There is definitely a difference in the two positions, but just a very subtle one.

The switch is definitely ok, I had the whole guitar checked over by a tech. There is definitely a difference in the two positions, but just a very subtle one.

What was odd with my original switch is it was only the middle position that didn't work. Both the neck and bridge positions were properly isolated. I would ask the tech if he actually put a meter on the switch; just a thought. If it really is OK then maybe think about a different set of pickups down the road to give more differentiation.

What was odd with my original switch is it was only the middle position that didn't work. Both the neck and bridge positions were properly isolated. I would ask the tech if he actually put a meter on the switch; just a thought. If it really is OK then maybe think about a different set of pickups down the road to give more differentiation.

When I actually got the guitar the switch would only work in the bridge position if you wiggled it hard, so I know he cleaned and checked it was working. He knows his stuff so I'm confident enough he would have picked up on any other issues.

A pickup swap is certainly something I plan down the line anyway.

When I actually got the guitar the switch would only work in the bridge position if you wiggled it hard, so I know he cleaned and checked it was working. He knows his stuff so I'm confident enough he would have picked up on any other issues.

Another way to assess this would be to play another SE Custom 24 at the local music store.

Back