New PRS CE24 Bridge Height Off?

ThemBones

So I got a PRS CE24
It came in today I am new to PRS but this looks wrong...

102qz60.jpg

Contact PRS Customer Service if you think there’s an issue. They will take care of you.

Contact PRS Customer Service if you think there’s an issue. They will take care of you.

I have emailed them
I loosened the strings and ran those screws all the way down, I have never seen a strat with the bridge actually floating (in the front not the back) so I figured a bolt on PRS had to be similar.
I also loosened the screws near the springs so the back of the bridge is up a little now
i had to raise the saddles then turn the truss rod just a tiny bit.
gonna let it sit for an hour or two and go from there

I have emailed them
I loosened the strings and ran those screws all the way down, I have never seen a strat with the bridge actually floating (in the front not the back) so I figured a bolt on PRS had to be similar.
I also loosened the screws near the springs so the back of the bridge is up a little now
i had to raise the saddles then turn the truss rod just a tiny bit.
gonna let it sit for an hour or two and go from there

You screwed the screws all the way down? That’s the wrong thing to do. You totally blew it! Why didn’t you pick up the phone and call PRS or your dealer?? Or at least look at the freaking web support page?? It was probably set up just fine.

The bridge is supposed to float in front and back. It’s not a Strat, and the bridge isn’t a Strat bridge. It’s designed to float nearly parallel to the top.

The front of the bridge rests on a knife edge fulcrum that goes into notches on the front of the screws. Here’s the setup guide for the bridge:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Last edited:
You should also remove the springs before adjusting the bridge height. If you leave the springs on, you can ruin the knife edge on the bridge plate.

TB, The bridge is set up to go up a half tone, as well as down. This isn't a Stratoid. Go to you tube, and look at John Mann's video on setting up a PRS trem. I have one of every trem except the gen III, and they all kick ass. And yes, I have both Mann trems. Look before you leap brother. You have a musical Ferrari now.

Now that I am rightfully worried; how will I know if I ruined it.

When you redo your setup, just remove the mounting screws and inspect the knife edges. You might need a magnifier to see the edges clearly.

It looked like the trem had popped out of the grooves and was resting up against the screw heads.

I bet if you had taken tension off of the strings and springs you could have put it back in place.

If it were mine. I'd pull each screw out and check to see if they are damaged and do the same to the trem. There is a video from guitar vault that shows exactly how to set it up.

Good luck

looks a little high but not unusual for a PRS. Every one I have seen floats above the surface of the guitar top. They don't sit flush like a strat bridge can. If you slacken the strings off, only the back end drops to the guitar body, it doesn't "sit down" like a strat trem

Why were you adjusting it anyway, was the action messed up or it wasn't staying in tune? or you just thought it looked weird?

I think you've sadly had some rude replies but if nothing is damaged you've only learned something from a little mistake and all is well. Next time if you are in doubt about something like a bridge appearing messed up, google it and look at photos of them set up properly for a rough idea. If it is playing fine, don't touch it, wait for PRS to get back to you.

looks a little high but not unusual for a PRS. Every one I have seen floats above the surface of the guitar top. They don't sit flush like a strat bridge can. If you slacken the strings off, only the back end drops to the guitar body, it doesn't "sit down" like a strat trem

Why were you adjusting it anyway, was the action messed up or it wasn't staying in tune? or you just thought it looked weird?

I think you've sadly had some rude replies but if nothing is damaged you've only learned something from a little mistake and all is well. Next time if you are in doubt about something like a bridge appearing messed up, google it and look at photos of them set up properly for a rough idea. If it is playing fine, don't touch it, wait for PRS to get back to you.

I just thought it looked odd; yes.
I did look for some pictures but they all looked kind of flat/against the body, they were also not very good angles.

Yes sadly the replies were a little or even a lot rude.
That is discouraging.
I have been playing guitar off and on for 20 years and never owned a PRS.
I got a 2011 Studio in trade for a swart AST pro and that gave me the bug so I wanted a CE.
A part of why I never owned a PRS is because a lot of the "PRS crowd" was always a little hmmm well I guess you can see by the replies I got what my opionion of the PRS community was going into prs ownership.
I think I have it back on track now, I am taking it to the guy that helps me with setups today we will go from there.

I did look for some pictures but they all looked kind of flat/against the body, they were also not very good angles.

That is discouraging.
I got a 2011 Studio in trade for a swart AST pro and that gave me the bug so I wanted a CE.
A part of why I never owned a PRS is because a lot of the "PRS crowd" was always a little hmmm well I guess you can see by the replies I got what my opionion of the PRS community was going into prs ownership.
I think I have it back on track now, I am taking it to the guy that helps me with setups today we will go from there.

Stick around. We don't all bite. You'll find that this is one of the few chill places on the interwebs.

That is discouraging.

Sorry if my reply came off rude. It wasn’t meant to.

I was trying to be emphatic, not come off as disdainful. Just look before you leap next time, is what I meant.

Last edited:
Back