New pickups for S2 Standard 22

krb813

What do all of you think about a JB pickup in the bridge of my S2? Also, what pickup would you recommend for the Neck pickup? Thanks

JB will sound great in the standard 22. The Jazz or 59 is what I'd pair fir the neck.

OP I put a JB/59 in my standard 22 I'm diggin it...a little bright with the JB...nice grind but I play with gain....I bought another used Standard 22 that came with BK mules and it takes the cake...but the JB is a fine pup...

OP I put a JB/59 in my standard 22 I'm diggin it...a little bright with the JB...nice grind but I play with gain....I bought another used Standard 22 that came with BK mules and it takes the cake...but the JB is a fine pup
So it sounds like you like the Mules better. I play hard rock and blues rock with the Standard 22. Good match then? How about the Stormy Mondays?

Last edited:
So it sounds like you like the Mules better. I play hard rock and blues rock with the Standard 22. Good match then? How about the Stormy Mondays?
The mules are thicker sounding but I'm glad I have both guitars to differentiate...the mules are also more than double the price....when I play with the band the JB sounds great...cuts through and sounds great on record....PM me and I'll send you a recording...

I'm also curious how the Stormy Mondays sound, being less aggressive than the Mules. I know the Mules are popular for the "SG" sound.

JB in the bridge with a Jazz in the neck would be the ultimate hard-rock/metal '90s kind of thing. Extremely popular.

Another perfect pairing is the SH-5 Duncan Custom in the bridge with a '59 Model in the neck. This one is more '70s hard-rock/"rawk" kind of thing and IMO is a dead-ringer for the original PRS Dragon pickup set. My fave for a "higher output" setup.

Someone at SD told me the Warren dimartini pup is killer...like a thicker jb they described it....

I LOVE the sound of the Duncan Custom in mahogany guitars. And it's available in several flavours if you want to try the same wind with different magnets.

Custom = Ceramic
Custom Custom = AlNiCo 2
Custom 5 = AlNiCo 5

Paired with the Jazz in the neck, it's one of my favourite pickup combos. It's like a more airy and modern JB/59.

Someone at SD told me the Warren dimartini pup is killer...like a thicker jb they described it....

If I'm not mistaken, it's a JB with an AlNiCo 2 magnet, so it's a little lower output and has a little more "squish" to it.

Back