New Pickups for My S2: Suhr Thornbuckers!

garrett

I decided to give up on the S2 #7 pickups in my Singlecut Standard. That's a record fast swap for me; I've had the guitar less than a month. :redface: The dynamics were there, but not the amount of clarity and articulation I wanted. I think they're a bit overwound for my tastes.

I started poking around online and found out about Suhr Thornbuckers, which are relatively new. They're in the medium PAF output range and they definitely deliver the clarity with balance. I feel like the guitar is truly living up to its potential now. I don't want to stop playing it! The guitar now does a great job of copping classic rock tones, but the tone still holds up very well for higher-gain modern stuff as well as sweet cleans.

An added bonus to me is they use unplated covers, which gives them a decidedly PRS-esque look that fits right in. I dig the look with the unplated bridge parts.

So, new pickups, and I accidentally put some marks on the back with my belt buckle. I guess it's officially a keeper now!

Looks great, and of course Suhr makes some really nice pickups! I'd love to hear a clip if you have some time and energy to do it!

Looks great, and of course Suhr makes some really nice pickups! I'd love to hear a clip if you have some time and energy to do it!

I'd love to put something together. Been way too long since I've recorded anything. I need to see if I can get Amplitube to work with Garageband 10. The Apple amp sims still aren't as good.

Nice. The Suhr pickups are lowered powered than compared to the #7? I like 'em in my Standard 22, although I actually wouldn't mind a little hotter version in the bridge. I guess the Standard 24 might solve that issue with higher output HFS in the bridge.

Actually, resistance wise, the two sets are pretty darn close. That's assuming the S2 specs are the same as the original #7. The difference must come from the myriad other factors like type of alnico, coil balance, wind, covers.

The stock pickups sounded a bit too dull to me and the neck pickup was missing the high end I like. To be fair, I'm largely a single coil player, so I like a fair amount of top end and not too much mid focus. The #7s aren't bad, just not for me.

My pickup philosophy fits Pete Thorn's, you can add more boost and gain via the signal chain, but you can't take it away. That said, if you want to push the amp harder, it's tough to beat the HFS. That pickup just begs to rock!

Actually, resistance wise, the two sets are pretty darn close. That's assuming the S2 specs are the same as the original #7. The difference must come from the myriad other factors like type of alnico, coil balance, wind, covers.

The stock pickups sounded a bit too dull to me and the neck pickup was missing the high end I like. To be fair, I'm largely a single coil player, so I like a fair amount of top end and not too much mid focus. The #7s aren't bad, just not for me.

My pickup philosophy fits Pete Thorn's, you can add more boost and gain via the signal chain, but you can't take it away. That said, if you want to push the amp harder, it's tough to beat the HFS. That pickup just begs to rock!

Yeah I understand this philosophy, but after trying out a bunch of my guitars, a CS Fender Tele, the PRS S2 Standard, Les Paul w/Burstbucks 1/2 and the PRS SE Clint Lowery - all used to demo 10 different distortion pedals, the one that sounded best was the one with the hottest pickups, the SE CL. Could be too it was downtuned to drop C, 2 of the others to Drop D, the Tele standard tuning. But still the hotter pickups especially with 2 of my favorite distortions, the Empress Heavy and the Wampler Triple Wreck, there was just a bit more ooomph, air and snarl from the hotter pickups. The others sounded good, just a tad more polite. The Empress Heavy has so much gain though, even the Tele sounded pretty damn heavy, lol.

I'll have to check out Suhr pickups as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my LP, and getting a PRS Singlecut of some sort, maybe changing pickups in this one. Trying to decide between the SE Tremonti or the SE Marty Friedman. Possible the SE Standard 245 too. I've decided I like the wide/fat carve a lot, and all 3 of these have it. Do you know if the body thickness is the same with these 3?

The non-custom Tremonti is pretty thin...think SE Singlecut model...the 245 is thicker, and I'm not sure about the MF...

Good reasoning for switching out the 7's... I also feel they have lots of mids and not a ton of high end. That's actually what I like about them in my semi, wanted a slightly more jazzy sound. But to each their own!

I'll have to check out Suhr pickups as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my LP, and getting a PRS Singlecut of some sort, maybe changing pickups in this one. Trying to decide between the SE Tremonti or the SE Marty Friedman. Possible the SE Standard 245 too. I've decided I like the wide/fat carve a lot, and all 3 of these have it. Do you know if the body thickness is the same with these 3?

Try to find yourself an Akesson sig... I have a feeling you would like it! Thicker body, wide/fat, and they have a super thick tone, but with good definition and highs too due to the ebony board. Keep an eye out, I see them going for cheap quite frequently.

Higher output pickups are great if your main focus is playing with gain for rock or metal. When I had a CU24, it was my go-to for those tones. I don't think any other guitar does it better.

The non-custom Tremonti is pretty thin...think SE Singlecut model...the 245 is thicker, and I'm not sure about the MF...

The SE Tremonti is pretty close to the thickness of the S2 Singlecuts, i.e. not as thick as a Les Paul or original PRS Singlecut. I had an SE Tremonti with USA pickups in it and that thing slayed.

Good reasoning for switching out the 7's... I also feel they have lots of mids and not a ton of high end. That's actually what I like about them in my semi, wanted a slightly more jazzy sound. But to each their own!

Exactly. One man's "dark" is another man's "warm". :)

Looks great and sounds like a good match! Enjoy!

I have had an S2 Standard 22 with #7s for awhile, and I recently picked up an S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow with the same. I thought the #7s worked well in the Standard until I got the Custom. Now that I compare the two side by side, I do hear that they are a bit more muddy/rounder sounding in the all mahogany body. I feel like they are a much better match in the Custom, probably given the maple top. The chime, articulation, and sparkle is exactly what I was looking for with the Custom, especially for clean sounds and chord work where you can clearly hear each string/note.

Try to find yourself an Akesson sig... I have a feeling you would like it! Thicker body, wide/fat, and they have a super thick tone, but with good definition and highs too due to the ebony board. Keep an eye out, I see them going for cheap quite frequently.

Will do, thanks. A couple on ebay, at new prices. Worth checking out though.

Back