New Pickup Day

What I don't get is: they are sought after - at least if this forum is any reference at all - and yet they are the only recent production (next to the 53/10's) that are not in production, while components should not be an issue.

Anybody have an idea why?

I’m not super sure. Core Starlas haven’t been around since 2010 or so. They went to the import pickups in 2013 or so with the S2.

I am really surprised that the pickup prices aren’t up near what the others are. I love the pickups and think they have an amazing tone to them.

I know the core ones are supposed to be copies of TV Jones Filtertron-type pickups, but they're different. I have TV Classic and Classic+, as well as regular Gretsch HS Filters and the Core Starlas are different. Maybe in the same family generally, but to me they're fatter in the upper mids while retaining the high end clarity, and also have more 'oomph'. They're also not as dark as the TVJ Powertrons...

I know the core ones are supposed to be copies of TV Jones Filtertron-type pickups, but they're different. I have TV Classic and Classic+, as well as regular Gretsch HS Filters and the Core Starlas are different. Maybe in the same family generally, but to me they're fatter in the upper mids while retaining the high end clarity, and also have more 'oomph'. They're also not as dark as the TVJ Powertrons...

Are they supposed to be copies or did someone on the internet call them copies? Genuine question

That's the beauty of PRS guitars: they are all fantastic, and the less expensive models save by going a bit more inexpensive with all the stuff that you can always upgrade later. You can get their entry level model and just keep upgrading pieces one at a time until you have something truly exceptional. You can't say that about many other brands.

Glad this pickup swap worked for you, @Bowtiefanatc, enjoy! I suspect you found your way to the same tonal neighborhood I did when I dropped a set of DeArmond GoldTone pickups into my SE Custom Semi-Hollow and wired them with a Reverend Guitars style "Bass Contour Control" (in addition to a traditional treble cut tone control, of course): https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/se-mods.629/page-84#post-702289

Back