new neck humbucker for PRS S2 Custom 24 - Clean, Blues, Jazz

oobboo

Hello PRS users,

I am new to PRS. Last year I bought a used PRS S2 Custom 24. I liked the asian S2 Vintage Bass Neck PU a lot, so I bought the original USA VB used and installed it. Unfortunately I noticed too late that the screw holes of the baseplate were much deeper in comparison. So I can't screw the pickup that deep until it reaches the wood of the body. It sounds really good though, and I think it sits deep enough, flush with the mounting ring. After a few months, however, I realize that I would rather have a different sound.

I don't like the exaggerated bass from the low strings of a normal humbucker. The VB doesn't have this, but it still sounds a bit too "hot" to me.
So I'm looking for a pickup with moderate to low output that has little bass and at the same time doesn't have too many highs, but still has chime. I play mostly clean and I am mainly a strat player. I just like the playability of my PRS and it is the first humbucker guitar I am relatively happy with.

Dimarzio seems to have some pickups on offer: The EJ Custom or the Humbucker From Hell offer what I'm looking for, at least in theory. Also the Lollar Imperial seems to be THE vintage humbucker, but I am curious if I really search for the PAF sound.
However, PRS guitars are not Les Pauls and 24 frets sound different than 22 frets anyway. So I wanted to ask you about your experiences, tips and opinions.

Many Thanks :)

I can't speak to the neck position, but I put an EJ Custom into the bridge position of an S2 CU24. I really liked it; I think the maple/mahogany construction of the guitar helped tame the EJ so it was not ice pick-y.

I have put BakeKnuckle Stormy Mondays in a SE CU24 and I think they are awesome. I also just put some Manlius 59LT PAFS in a hollowbody and they sound great too.

I'd say have a look at a Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday, a Duncan Pearly Gates, or for something totally different, a Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen (humbucker sized P90).

I haven't put a set in a custom 24 but wolfetone pickups are my go to for that PAF sound. The Dr V is an amazing neck pickup and the marshallhead is an excellent bridge to pair with it. My favorite combo for an LP. Wolfe is tops to deal with too.

Here's some PRS pickup specs

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/list-of-prs-pickup-specs.8055/

I'm more of an SD guy than Dimarzio but nothing against Dimarzio. SD specs

https://espguitars.co.jp/seymourduncan/pickup/tonechart.html

I also recently picked up Fralin P90 Humbucker for an SG. Sounds so killer I'm already thinking what other guitar to get one for.

I'm mostly a blues style player myself these days. I love a good clean sound but also like a little dirt too. I'm a strat fan too and if a pickup doesn't sound good clean it doesn't stay.

I had a Suhr SSV neck in my SE Single cut and i believe is one of the best neck humbuckers i've ever had. The SE was really hot on the lows specially on the neck position but on that one sounded sweet rather than "in your face" bass. But SC's are 22 frets so not sure if will work with OP. Just sharing the experience.

Thank you guys :)

I also thought of a Duncan SH2 Jazz because it seems to be kind of a standard pickup if you want more highs. I am afraid that an EJ Custom or other single coil like humbuckers would be too thin on a 24 fret guitar like the Custom 24. I just want more chime, but also in the low end.
Do any of you have experiences with the SH2 in 24 fret PRS guitars?

But lets be honest: I thought that the PRS USA Vintage Bass is a modern sounding pickup. But it seems that it has an Alnico II magnet with moderate output. Is this true? It is one of the old ones, I thought it would be Alnico 5. On paper it seems to be a good clean and crunch pickup?

Last edited:
Can't answer about VB magnets, but I can say the SD Jazz will do what you want. I installed one in my Santana III along with an SD Custom 5. Great neck sounds - full, but clear and very articulate.

Thank you guys :)

I also thought of a Duncan SH2 Jazz because it seems to be kind of a standard pickup if you want more highs. I am afraid that an EJ Custom or other single coil like humbuckers would be too thin on a 24 fret guitar like the Custom 24. I just want more chime, but also in the low end.
Do any of you have experiences with the SH2 in 24 fret PRS guitars?

But lets be honest: I thought that the PRS USA Vintage Bass is a modern sounding pickup. But it seems that it has an Alnico II magnet with moderate output. Is this true? It is one of the old ones, I thought it would be Alnico 5. On paper it seems to be a good clean and crunch pickup?

AFAIK the Suhr SSV was equiped on the Suhr modern guitars that had 24 frets (the great Guthrie Govan used it) and seemed to work.
Just my 2 cents

I've ordered a low output alnico II neck pickup and a alnico V bridge pickup, from Bootstrap Pickups. I plan to install them in my S2 Custom 22. I'll report back on the sound, as I'll still have another CU 22, that is original. I'm also thinking about a set of low output alinco II/V pickups, from Porter Pickups.

I'm still not shure if I want to wire them as straight humbuckers, or to just split the neck pickup. I like a middle position sound, where the bridge pickup over powers neck.

If you are looking atnSuhr pickups, the Thornbucker is a great neck tone. Really nice. Not too hot. Not too flubby. Will also echo the recommendation on the Wolfetone Dr Vintage, it's a lovely pickup too - one of my favourites, matched with a Wolfetone Marshallhead A2 in the bridge.

I've ordered a low output alnico II neck pickup and a alnico V bridge pickup, from Bootstrap Pickups. I plan to install them in my S2 Custom 22. I'll report back on the sound, as I'll still have another CU 22, that is original. I'm also thinking about a set of low output alinco II/V pickups, from Porter Pickups.

I'm still not shure if I want to wire them as straight humbuckers, or to just split the neck pickup. I like a middle position sound, where the bridge pickup over powers neck.

I have a set of bootstraps singles in a strat. Very happy with them, they nailed a vintage strat tone I was looking for perfectly at a price that can't be beat. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with their humbuckers but wouldn't hesitate to try them out.

Brian from Porter is a great winder and guitar builder too. Can't got wrong there.. He has a lot of passion for guitars and does amazing work!

Hello guys,

quick update: I got the opportunity to test a BKP Old Guard Humbucker set and do not like it as much as the PRS Vintage Bass. I thought because of its vintage character and less output, they would fit but they sound much more distorted with lesser bass and more highs. I think I like the full sound of the VB better, especially when played clean and with solo lines. I am not sure if I should process with my search or just play that thing :D. The Line 6 Helix also seems to be pretty bassy, also with my strat with Fender CP69. That is not the problem of my pickups.

Consider a set of covered 58/15 S, as are stock in the S2 594 and Thinline, as well as the SE Hollow. Great sounding pups that just might be what you are looking for in sound. At just over $100 for a used set, hard to beat for the price. I have them in a S2 594, S2 594 Thinline, SE Hollowbody, and just put a set in a Bernie Marsden, all sound great, all sound unique in each guitar.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it is available used in germany I will try the set, seems to be more tamed. And the USA VB sounds VERY similar to the S2 VB, so I don´t think there will be a difference in sound quality.

Update: I've had the Bootstrap pickups on order for 2 months, and still waiting. I ordered the Porter Gatekeeper set and received them in four days. I installed them and compared them to uncovered 85/15s set. I like the neck and bridge sounds, of the Porter pickups. The middle position of the 85/15s, sound better to me. I did have to lower the neck pickup, to get a brighter middle position (bridge dominant) sound.

So the pickup sets, sound different. Both sound. oobboo, you might be as happy, just trying some pickup adjustments.

Back