New Member? Welcome! Info about your new account inside

Welcome FireFunkRevival! Lurking is discouraged, but pictures are paramount!! Post some images of you beauties so we can drool on them!!!
I don’t have any prs guitars yet but I’m real close. Trying to make it happen asap. I’ve got a couple strats, a 335 epi, a Les Paul epi with p90s, and an Alvarez acoustic electric.

I don’t have any prs guitars yet but I’m real close. Trying to make it happen asap. I’ve got a couple strats, a 335 epi, a Les Paul epi with p90s, and an Alvarez acoustic electric.
Most here would be happy to pressure you into making that a reality! Hope it happens soon and like Dave said, let us know what you are looking at so we can push you along to the path of 6 string nirvana!!

Please let me know what your preferences are! I would greatly appreciate it. 594 semi vs special.
My daily player is a 594 HBII! The major factor to me playing that one more than my pair of CU24s is that it is about 2lbs lighter. As a result, I can play that guitar for 6 hours and more without any discomfort or side effects. With the CU24s, I start feeling discomfort after 1.5-2 hours and am often sore (in neck and shoulder) the next day if I play them any longer than that.

As for the special, I have not yet tried one but I have a tendency to shy away from guitars with center pickups. This was in the past due to it interfering with my picking. The pick always hits the center pickup in ones I have tried which annoys me enough to exclude those types of guitars in general. Now that said, in August of '23, I started playing with fingers only and I am not sure I will ever pick up a pick again as I have been totally captured by the finger style I have adopted. This would now open me back up to guitars with a center pickup, so depending on what style you play and how you play it, this may or may not be a factor! The Studio will certainly have a more diverse set of sounds from the various pick up combos and switching available on that model.

I got my first PRS in Feb '21, by July '21, I had 3 of them. I had never had a guitar feel so good in my hands! Just incredible pieces of gear IMO!! Best of luck and you may want to consider the ME-V as well. If you like the idea of the studio, the ME-V may be up your alley as well!

My daily player is a 594 HBII! The major factor to me playing that one more than my pair of CU24s is that it is about 2lbs lighter. As a result, I can play that guitar for 6 hours and more without any discomfort or side effects. With the CU24s, I start feeling discomfort after 1.5-2 hours and am often sore (in neck and shoulder) the next day if I play them any longer than that.

As for the special, I have not yet tried one but I have a tendency to shy away from guitars with center pickups. This was in the past due to it interfering with my picking. The pick always hits the center pickup in ones I have tried which annoys me enough to exclude those types of guitars in general. Now that said, in August of '23, I started playing with fingers only and I am not sure I will ever pick up a pick again as I have been totally captured by the finger style I have adopted. This would now open me back up to guitars with a center pickup, so depending on what style you play and how you play it, this may or may not be a factor! The Studio will certainly have a more diverse set of sounds from the various pick up combos and switching available on that model.

I got my first PRS in Feb '21, by July '21, I had 3 of them. I had never had a guitar feel so good in my hands! Just incredible pieces of gear IMO!! Best of luck and you may want to consider the ME-V as well. If you like the idea of the studio, the ME-V may be up your alley as well!
How does the HBII compare to the semi? Also got pics?

How does the HBII compare to the semi? Also got pics?
594 HB II

594 SC SH

Compare?
Hmmm...
Well obviously the scale and hardware are the same. But for some insane reason the SC seems/feels a little more resonant. The HB is lighter of course, and therefore a great player for a long night.
The SC pushes the envelope a tad more though. Needs more experimentation...

Please let me know what your preferences are! I would greatly appreciate it. 594 semi vs special.

I have a 594 Solid and 594 HBii (not a Semi-Hollow) and a Special - although mine is the Ltd edition Special with the 58/15MT's so any comparison I could give would not be quite the same.

In my case, I would say the 594 is more 'Vintage' with that more PAF like pups so the Semi/Solid is more like a 'vintage' Les Paul and the Special has a bit more bite, more a 'classic' HB and more versatility with the NF and superb split sounds.

My advice would be to try them both and see which you prefer to buy first. The neck and scale are slightly different and of course, the special has a trem vs the 594's Fixed bridge. The 594 is a PRS modern take on a vintage Les Paul - where as the Special is a modern and extremely versatile instrument and could be ALL you need to take to a Gig...

This is my 594 HBii...
vTZuoJh.jpg

and this is my Special...
qamGI6Z.jpg

Any way good luck and welcome in....

I have a 594 Solid and 594 HBii (not a Semi-Hollow) and a Special - although mine is the Ltd edition Special with the 58/15MT's so any comparison I could give would not be quite the same.

In my case, I would say the 594 is more 'Vintage' with that more PAF like pups so the Semi/Solid is more like a 'vintage' Les Paul and the Special has a bit more bite, more a 'classic' HB and more versatility with the NF and superb split sounds.

My advice would be to try them both and see which you prefer to buy first. The neck and scale are slightly different and of course, the special has a trem vs the 594's Fixed bridge. The 594 is a PRS modern take on a vintage Les Paul - where as the Special is a modern and extremely versatile instrument and could be ALL you need to take to a Gig...

This is my 594 HBii...
vTZuoJh.jpg

and this is my Special...
qamGI6Z.jpg

Any way good luck and welcome in....
Very beautiful instruments. Thanks for the heads up. Just trying to get as many opinions as I can. I played a special last week the backside of the neck was super smooth is that how yours is? That was the only thing on I didn’t love. Maybe it just felt different since I’ve primarily been a Strat guy.

594 HB II

594 SC SH

Compare?
Hmmm...
Well obviously the scale and hardware are the same. But for some insane reason the SC seems/feels a little more resonant. The HB is lighter of course, and therefore a great player for a long night.
The SC pushes the envelope a tad more though. Needs more experimentation...
Sorry trying to keep all these facts straight which is the SC and what is the full name of that guitar and what did you mean by it pushed the envelope a little more?

Sorry trying to keep all these facts straight which is the SC and what is the full name of that guitar and what did you mean by it pushed the envelope a little more?
No worries.
The second guitar is the SC. Full name would be 2019 594 Singlecut Semi-Hollow Artist Package. And "pushing the envelope" (to me) means it seems to have just a little more expression/mid-highs, and presence. Hard to describe.

Very beautiful instruments. Thanks for the heads up. Just trying to get as many opinions as I can. I played a special last week the backside of the neck was super smooth is that how yours is? That was the only thing on I didn’t love. Maybe it just felt different since I’ve primarily been a Strat guy.
I don't know what you mean by 'smooth' but it feels 'typical' of a PRS to me - but maybe that's also the 25" scale too - which would be a little easier on the bends - but then a 594 is a shorter scale again...

It maybe 'just' different and take a bit of getting used to because its not a strat despite being able to 'cover' that territory quite well but also do the full HB sound too like a traditional 'double humbucker' guitar in a light and high quality instrument.

Both a 594, with its shorter scale and slightly thicker but in a 'worn in' great way that helps that 'Vintage' Les Paul with PAF's vibe these guitars have and a Special, which is a 'Custom 22', Semi-hollow with an added NF to expand its versatility, inspired by the Super Eagle - the more Modern yet 'familiar' 22fret Double HB so it's a 'typical' PRS in it's build, will feel 'different' to a strat, it really should come down to what you want from your PRS - although as I said, my specs are slightly different to the current Special.

It's not just about the tones because the Special and 594 can cover a lot of the same territory, its also fixed vs trem, separate tone/volume for blending like a typical 'LP/335 etc' or master tone/volume so are you looking for more of a Traditional LP like guitar or something more 'Modern' (although now over 30yrs old in its Roots as in the Custom 22) with its trem and 25" scale that's been given more 'versatility'?

Only you can answer what is 'right' for you right now so enjoy the search and discovery of your new PRS and enjoy that cycle....

Thanks for the welcome and clarifying rules. Own a Silver Sky SE Moon White and love it. Looking to pick up a McCarty SE Singlecut Standard in Vintage Cherry early next week and I’m very excited for it. Thanks for making exceptional guitars at affordable prices! I’m a brand loyal type and do my research before hand. My patronage was earned based on your innovation and reputation of quality.

Back