New Guitars over the Holidays

pvillas25

So, I got back into the PRS market in a big way over the holidays this year. Previously had a PRS H-amp and Custom 24 with 59/09's which were nice, but just didn't bond with me.

Over the holidays picked up a Blue Sierra 50W head and 2x12 cabinet. Picked up two used but excellent condition PRS guitars with different feel and tonality than the custom 24 I had.

The first is a 2012 PRS ME Quatro Faded Blue Burst - absolutely gorgeous top. I have an weakness for "unfinished" necks. Feels and plays great - although I think has 11's on it currently. I am going to restring it with 10's. The pickups are articulate, but mellow (almost jazzy) compared to the 59/09's I had experience with previously. Real player and looker.

The second is a 2008 PRS MCCarty 2 with the original electronics/pickups removed and stored in a bag with DVD/pictures of what it had looked like. DGT pickups were installed with the coil split as a separate small toggle interposed between the two knobs. The color is a blueberry quilt which has faded in a really unique way - I love it. It is light and even easier to play than the PRS ME Quatro I picked up. The pickups are definitely higher output, the neck quite "airy" compared to the ME Quatro neck and the bridge has a lot more bite and grit. So quite different tonality wise. It is lighter as well. Additionally lightness probably coming from the 2x9 volt battery cavity and electronics no longer being on board. It is my favorite of the two.

A embarrassment of riches...(my wife is very understanding of my GAS issues) - especially around holiday time when justification is so much easier ;-)

pics to follow when I figure out how to post - currently click the pic icon and only lets me link a URL which I don't know how to do. I like the upload options instead...

Back