Need some SE info .

Artjr

My wife's a Lawyer
is there a list anywhere that explains SE models? I was looking on GC website at used SE's there must be 50 differant Models. I was looking for something I could leave on a stand and pickup knock over or whatever I wanted to do with it. I order a excellent condition SE custom 22 Stoptail tail and a set of schallers. It showed up 2 days ago. I set it up and it feels great. I played it for about 2 hours trying every setting I could think of and just wasn't getting any good tones from it. Not to mention the flat top that just cuts into your forearm.Needless to say, I put the stock tuners back on it and I'm returning it tomorrow . I know they make some with figured tops. I'm not giving up. What SE models have the best tone, Sustain.
I may go check out a Fred? Akesson. Any opinions on that model. I like that it has the Tone Pro bridge on it. Are there noticeable differences between the 2.45 and the 2.50 scale tone.

Tone and sustain are subjective. There are pluses and minuses to every SE. I have six of them, and my P90 single cut, and 30th Anniversary SE 24 are the only ones with stock pickups. If you expect to sound like (your favorite guitar here), it`s probably not going to happen. You also don`t mention what kind of music you intend to play on it. A used SE wth a pickup change can be a great guitar that you could use in a bar fight, or as a boat paddle, in addition to playing well. As always, YMMV.

Bernie, for the win!

+57

For build quality, feel, sustain, and general awesomeness...a Bernie is bada$$ to the bone.

I'd also throw the Zach Meyers SE into the mix.

Both are SC, short scale guitars. I have adjustable Stoptail bridges on each. Both make me feel warm and cozy, in the guts.

Last edited:
Got a vintage yellow SE245. Be here Monday. I have a set of Schallers,SC245 pickups. Ordering nut and Mann Made Stoptail.

Got a vintage yellow SE245. Be here Monday. I have a set of Schallers,SC245 pickups. Ordering nut and Mann Made Stoptail.

Great choice! With the mods you've got lined up, it should come out to be a beast!

Congrats, and enjoy!

any one know what nut to get? Any drop ins?

You can buy a USA PRS nut from Mr. Mann, when you get the bridge.

A Core wide/Fat nut should fit your SE 245, I believe...but John can assist, if you're not sure.

To my ears (over the internet and having owned an SE years ago) the new 85/15 S pickups are a big improvement over the previous SE pickups. Also PRS must be pretty happy with them considering 85/15 voiced pickups are now the standard across majority of their guitars.

IMO, the 24.5" scale is more "vintage LP" than a real LP when combined with a classic voiced PAF pickup. But it's a bit too cramped for me up the neck. I generally prefer the 25" because it's less cramped and has a more "modern" tone to my ears without the twang of the 25.5" scale.

I install the sc245 pickups and the tuners. It sounds great for about 2 mins. I guess I'm spoiled with all the core guitars. The tuning issues are driving me crazy. I'm just putting it away till I get a new nut and bridge.

Back