Need recommendations for a used SE

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive guitar and am considering a used PRS SE. I'm not looking to spend more than $300-$350, which seems to be the range for a lot of the used SE models. Less $$ would be even better, but I think I'd have to get lucky to pay much less than $300. This will be a backup/beater guitar, so I am not looking to save up and get something more expensive (I've got enough of those already ;)).

Here's what I'm looking for:

• PRS Tremolo (not Floyd, Bigsby or stoptail)
  • Humbucker in bridge position
  • Wide/Fat or Regular neck shape (the Wide/Thins that I've played on SEs are way too thin for me)

I'm not too picky about the other specs (color, singlecut/doublecut, scale length, etc). I've checked out the PRS website to look at present and past models, but I am more interested in hearing from those of you who have owned an SE that meets my specs that you have liked/disliked. Please share any recommendations and thoughts you have. Thanks!

1st (2000-2002) or 2nd gen (2003-2005 or 2006 ish?) Santana SEs are fine guitars and generally fall into or below that price range, and match your specs. My 2003 2nd gen's neck fells exactly like my 2005 CU22 with a Wide Fat. I also like the 2nd gen's forearm cutaway vs the 1st gen flat top. Some people don't like the pickguard, but I think it's fine. Mine cost $325 used and came with a gig bag, and I think I overpaid.

My first SE was an 06 Custom 22. It was a stoptail, but a fine guitar. In reality, probably identical to the older Santana's except for the bling. Great feeling neck. Plenty of them around.

I have a current generation SE Santana that has been upgraded across the board with USA parts and an older version SR CU22. Both are fine guitars and you should not have any trouble finding what you're looking for with your budget and be completely pleased...

I think a Singlecut Trem SE would fit the bill for you nicely. I didn't own one, but I did play one before when I was shopping. I ultimately went for a SE Tremonti at the time, but later upgraded to the SE Tremonti Custom (which is a terrific guitar, but more expensive and a wide-thin neck, so that's two strikes against your list).

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll be keeping my eye out for the models you mentioned.

Back