NCD!!!

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
New (to me) cabinets day!

Not speaker cabinets - that’s why this is in the general section.

So, you probably know that Radio Shack has closed a ton of stores. One of those was the store where my son worked (he quit before the closing). On one of last trips there, we looked at some of the fixtures and decided to buy two of the filing cabinets they had. Not the first time I’ve done something like this - years ago, I bought the filing cabinet I have where I worked when they were getting rid of a bunch.

These new ones were in need of some TLC, as you can see.

cabs01.jpg

On the way home from buying them (we wouldn’t pick them up for a couple weeks afterwards), my wife and I were talking about what we’d use them for and that they’d need painted. No biggie - I’d done that once already. I said I’d probably put some music books and magazines in them, and you could almost hear the light bulb click over my head. I said, “I know how I’m going to do this!”

We picked up the cabinets a couple weeks ago, and I knew I had this long weekend coming up, so I planned to do the painting this week, and in keeping with the spirit of the weekend, it was time to resurrect these things.

So, Friday morning, I gathered my stuff...

paint01.jpg

And I got to work. I’d already taken the hardware off and pounded out what dents I could fix. The paint cans say they cover twice as much as regular paint. Utter crap. After about 90 minutes, I had a first coat on, but frankly, it was disappointing. Time to break for lunch and pick up some more paint.

paint02.jpg

That’s right, I called in reinforcements. An hour or so later, we’ve got some newly painted cabinets.

cabs02.jpg

But wait, you’re saying - aside from those being rather bright, wasn’t there some other paint there? Yeah, there was (and with apologies to Lloyd, these were not destined to be goldtops!), but I had a dinner bet to collect on (I won our family basketball pool this year), so it was off for some good, hot wings and what turned out to be a steak hoagie for me.

But when I got home, sh*t got real...

paint03.jpg

Man, this stuff just did not cover like I thought it would. I went into the third can of blue and needed to have my parents pick up a third can of black when they came out on Saturday for Easter dinner (yep, this went two days). But eventually, I had them painted.

cabs03.jpg

I know, I know - seems kind of silly to use six cans of yellow paint to paint these things then just paint them black and blue. But remember what else was there.

Tape.

So today, we pulled the tape off, and voila - new cabs!

cabs04.jpg

I was pretty disappointed with the tape - it pulled a bunch of the yellow paint off one of the cabs. Yeah, it give it kind of a cool, reliced look, but Bill says that would make me a poser! (Just kidding, Bill!) So, I’m likely going to pick up some more paint and touch up those spots.

Other than that, though, I thought I pretty well nailed it (keeping with the holiday theme!), but there’s something missing. I can’t quite place my finger on it.

Wait.

I’ll bet Hans knows what’s missing.

I figured it out.

I know exactly what they need:

alanmod.jpg

Yeah...that’ll do!

They need to be distressed.....I could help out with a few magazines thru my AK.....

:rock: :five: I'm with Joe, I say leave the one alone. I think I like it better distressed...more like Frankenstein.

Put it this way Alan, I'd happily take the black and yellow cab off your hands. You did a killer job buddy!

Alan,

No apologies necessary my friend. A+ idea! These are Fantastic!

I have a couple of filing cabinets that I use as storage for some of my LPs. But mine are the boring old tan color; nothing as cool as yours. Well Done!!!

Lloyd

P.S. - 'Gold colored cabinets'... Hummmmm.;)

They need to be distressed.....I could help out with a few magazines thru my AK.....

:rock: :five: I'm with Joe, I say leave the one alone. I think I like it better distressed...more like Frankenstein.

Well, what I've decided is I'm going to partially fix 'em up. Or at least attempt to. The distressed look of them has grown on me, but there are a handful of spots I want to try to fix. It'll probably be at least next weekend until I get to them - maybe longer since next weekend contains both Record Store Day and my son's 21st birthday.

Back