NAD. HXDA. OMG.

justmund

Plank Spanker
Well I finally got to pick up my HXDA, after 4 days of torture having it at my freight guys place, I got there this afternoon and grabbed it.

I haven't spent a whole bunch of time with it, it's baby sleep time so I've unplugged and thought I'd give my initial impressions and share some pics.

Firstly, massive thanks to Brett Mulzer from Moore Music EV. He hooked me up with this amp and gave me a great deal. I haven't heard of these guys before, I was basically searching for "HXDA" and came across their site. Great guy, great service, and some really nice pieces in their inventory.

The decision on this amp was a long one (thanks to Les, Bob and CR for some behind the scenes advice), I wanted a Recording Amp, but couldn't afford the amp and a cab (I have a cab for my Mark V, but I really wanted 2 separate rigs), and I saw there was a limited run of 30W 2x12 HXDA combos for less $ than a 50W HXDA head (they're still out there too). I had a bit of a road bump with my finances so I had to wait until some gear was moved until I could pull the trigger, but eventually I did and it's finally here! I'd say there's not many of these in Australia (if any!) and I'm having to use a step down transformer to go from 240V to 110V.

What I'm going to say about the amp has pretty much been covered before, but I might as well reinforce it! It's a surprisingly flexible amp for something that is on the surface, so simple. As mentioned, I've got a Mark V, which would have to be one of the most complicated amps out there (3-channel, different modes, different wattages, pentode/triode, assignable 5-band EQ, footswitchable boost etc etc etc!), but even being used to this, I found the HXDA initially difficult to get a "good" tone out of. That all changed when I watched a couple of the PRS vids, where PRSh goes through a couple of settings, and I heard pretty darn exactly what they were getting on those vids.

I'm not going to use (m)any adjectives because they've all been used before! I will say it's a fantastic compliment to the Mark V, there's not a whole lot of cross over between the amps (except for maybe GREAT clean tones), so I'm completely stoked with the purchase.

Here's some pics, I'll record some audio in the next week or so and post it up :)

The box!

10322824023_c8741a7a41_b.jpg

The unboxing

10322819483_4545caf81f_b.jpg

Classy

10322817403_2193c4b50b_b.jpg

Paisley!

10322628464_3a6de57e50_b.jpg

I will say it's a fantastic compliment to the Mark V, there's not a whole lot of cross over between the amps (except for maybe GREAT clean tones), so I'm completely stoked with the purchase.
Why did you have to go and say that. You've left me nothing as an excuse to not get one.

It looks great and I'm glad you are liking it.

That's a great addition. :top: A Boogie and PRS amp is just about all you need.

Ok, I appreciate the info on the HXDA, but I am simply loving that pickup setup on your guitar. 3 * 59/09!!!!! U sir have hit my want button:top:. Please tell how you like the setup!!!!

Last edited:
Congrats on a GREAT amp!! I'm a HUGE fan of the HXDA as well. You will love it more as you get more familiar with it. Fantastic amp.

Oh and Kerry- fixed it for ya:
That's a great addition. :top: A PRS amp is just about all you need.

Thanks guys!

I should say I run my Mark V in Fat-Mark I-Mark IIC+ modes typically, and the HXDA doesn't sound like those modes at all. Pretty obvious why, comparing an amp designed to sound like Mesa Mks (and other stuff) to an amp designed to sound like special Plexis, you're not going to get similar tones.

I've noticed the brightness, especially when running all in HX modes, and with more HXDA gain than bass gain. I am digging this aspect, being able to get a searing lead tone on the neck pickup (just for something a little different). I did wonder how broken in the V30s are (no idea how much store play, at what levels, at what freqs this has) but time will tell I suppose!

Yep I can't wait to plug in again, it's earlyish in the morning and I need to go punish myself with some fitness stuff first but I'm already planning my day around amp time!

Finally re. guitar... They're not 59/09s and it's not a NF3, it's a PTC modded DC3 with 3 x narrow 408s. Story here:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?6072-NGD-The-626

It also seems posting box photos is my thing (and waiting 4 days between getting something and being able to play it!)

Congrats! I run an HXDA with these settings, into a Mesa 2x12 with V-30s, and I would call the resulting tone very warm, not too bright:

Switches: DA, DA, HX

Knobs (all settings o'clock):

HX Gain between 12:00 and2:00
DA Gain around 8:00

Treble 10:00
Middle: 1:00
Bass: 1:00

Presence: 10:00 - 11:00
Master: To taste

If you try these settings, you should get a buttery, warm sound even with V-30s. The treble knob is really powerful, and I find that it needs to be pulled back short of noon for the amp to sound right. Same with the presence control. I keep mine pretty low. The kinds of settings you'd use with the Mark V will not work with the HXDA (I had a Mark V, so I'm well aware of what sounds good with it).

Beautiful amp, BTW!

Last edited:
I figured you bought the head. Was pleasantly surprised to see the combo. I think the amp in this format is very interesting.

Hey Les thanks for the tips, I used your settings then tweaked them a bit and this is where I'll stick for a few days while I just enjoy the amp rather than fiddling (for now!). This seems to work for me, my guitar and the combo, it cleans up nicely around 3-4 on the guitar volume and there's more enough gain at 10 for single note noodling. It's odd how much gain I'm not using, maybe because it's a 30W? I'm not pushing the power amp side that hard though? Anyway:
Switches: HX, HX, HX

Knobs (all settings o'clock):

HX Gain between 9:00 and 10:00
DA Gain around 8:00

Treble 10:00
Middle: 1:00 to 2:00
Bass: 1:00 to 2:00

Presence: 9:00 - 10:00
Master: 12:00

and Jesse, I really dig this format too, I've owned 3 heads in a row and it was time for another combo :p Some may say it's not "right", a 30W "Plexi" in a 2x12 combo, but it works for me, I'm loving this amp and having a bunch of fun with it. It just sounds fantastic!

Back