NAD - Archon 100w, Black Paisley with Black Gold

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So last week I was still looking to scratch that itch about a new amp. And the Archon was calling to me. All the Youtube videos had convinced me it had the sound I was looking for. The standard-issue black tolex with grey-black "stealth" flamed wood would be suitable, but I saw other options - the full Paisley color...hmm, no, not for me; ooh, look, Brian's Guitar's has a couple of heads in Black Paisley, with a cool-looking Black-Gold flamed maple wood fascia. And a matching 2x12 cabinet! I had been considering skipping the cabinet for now, but with a matching cab, I gotta get that set!

I've posted some of these pics just a few days ago in the old thread I started back in June, so sorry for the minor cross-posting:

IMG_20150224_115021_646_zpsh2rilnuz.jpg

IMG_20150224_104652_162_zpsw87hdhnh.jpg

IMG_20150224_104834_082_zpsinvsguje.jpg

The color is closest to the last couple - the yellow-ish vs the reddish tone of the maple.

In that other thread, Les asked me to post some clips. I did some recordings earlier today, signed up for SoundCloud, and uploaded them. They sound "representative" to me, but honestly nothing sounds quite like standing in front of an amp. The one clip recorded via just the SM57 is a good example - it is pretty clear, but you lose a bunch of low end due to the nature of the mike itself. Which is why the other two clips are a "stereo" recording of a combo of an SM57 and an MXL A-55 kick drum mike (borrowed from my drum set mike kit) - the A-55 captures a lot more low end (and sacrifices high end as a result).

I kind of just meander in my playing, but I am varying pick attack, strum strength, etc, to give an idea of how sensitive the Archon is (or is not). Plus variation of the guitar's volume knob, pickup selection, and tone knob (on one of the clips) - these are fairly obvious when I switch around.

Anyway, here's a link to the SoundCloud clips:

https://soundcloud.com/steve-hinksman/sets/prs-archon-demos

Let me know if you can actually access the clips (I got errors reported after the upload, but they seem fine), and whether you think the clips are representative enough.

One caveat: I have a mild cold, so my ears are a bit off, and my playing is not all that great (cold or otherwise), so if these sound like garbage...well, that's probably all my fault.

Wow, fantastic!

BTW, for the most part the clips turned out really nice! But I'd lose the MXL mic. The track with just the 57 really sounds a lot better.

Last edited:
Wow, fantastic!

BTW, for the most part the clips turned out really nice! But I'd lose the MXL mic. The track with just the 57 really sounds a lot better.
Thanks!

The use of the MXL was just to capture some of the bottom end that the Archon can put out that the SM57 loses. You're right: in general, I wouldn't record with the MXL (or maybe record dual-track as I did, but only mix in a small portion - here I essentially mixed them 50/50).

So, it appears my first attempt at uploading tracks worked...uh oh, you might have unleashed a monster!

Ha, well, not really. I would want to work on my technique a lot more first, before posting more "samples".

Now if I could just figure out how to record more than two channels at once...sigh, ASIO drivers seem to be so annoying.

Love the black paisley. I'll make sure to try the clips when I get home.
Yeah, I quite like the black-but-a-different-black look.
Nicely done and congrats!!
Thanks!
hell to the yeah! \m/
And thanks!

I played some riffage for my girlfriend, and she was very impressed - the look on her face when I started out nice and clean showed she was impressed at how nice it sounded, yet at a very good volume, and then when I kicked on the lead channel... :rock:

And then I switched from the CU24 to the SE-7 she got me for Christmas, and the djenting began. :7string: :rock:

I'm now trying to figure out how to fit the clean channel with all my ludicrous amounts of effects, but be able to switch over to the lead channel and drop all the effects. I guess I should see which of my effects work best in the effects loop...

Has anyone successfully triggered the clean/lead switch on an Archon using a programmable loop controller, by using a "trigger"? Hmm, I need to investigate...

I've been playing with effects and the effects loop, as threatened.

Some minor tweaks to my main board were required to properly integrate with the Archon:

IMG_4321_1024_zpsyvn5fojr.jpg

I put on a Behringer Noise Reducer, which works just fine for me if you leave the Threshold at minimum (otherwise it does suck some tone). I needed to add that since the Archon's lead channel is so high gain, it picks up every single hum, hiss and crackle my board feels like producing - the NR300 helps to tame that. An interesting side note: the Wally is also a major contributor to hiss, if the record level is above about "4". Once I got that dialed down, the noise is very low, overall.

In case anyone is wondering, the Behringer Tube Amp Modeler is for use when I gig without an amp - I usually plug straight into the PA, so some modeling helps tremendously when I'm in a dirt-oriented loop mode (the modeler gets bypassed when in acoustic simulator mode).

To give me a different manner of invoking certain effects which works well for certain songs I like to play, I also created a board to put into the effects loop, which I only engage mostly when on the clean channel (I will kick in the RV-3 when on lead):

IMG_4324_1024_zpscjpxhbfr.jpg

I was mildly amazed the Behringer Acoustic Modeler was OK with the effects loop signal level - I would have thought it too aggressive. On the other hand, a Boss CE-3 was very unhappy in the effects loop - full of clock noise or something! I want to add some chorus/flanger to this board, so suggestions on a good modulation pedal for effects loop signal level would be appreciated. I seem to recall one of the other threads here mentions some brands that in general like the loop, and other that don't. I need to look for that thread(s).

Interesting other side note: when I use the smaller board in the effects loop, I usually like to switch between the clean channel, with the effects loop active, and the lead channel, no effects. So I have found my foot is wide enough to hit both of the stomp switches on the Archon's foot pedal at the same time. Very satisfying to be able to achieve that. Yes, it's the small victories...

Congrats, and welcome to Club Archon!

So, it appears my first attempt at uploading tracks worked...uh oh, you might have unleashed a monster!

Ha, well, not really. I would want to work on my technique a lot more first, before posting more "samples".

Nah - don't sweat it. Post away! Warts and all - you can still get valuable feedback, even if you're not 100% pleased with what you played. Geez, if we only posted what we were really happy with, we wouldn't have any music clips to listen to!

Oh - nice Dalek!

Congrats, and welcome to Club Archon!

Nah - don't sweat it. Post away! Warts and all - you can still get valuable feedback, even if you're not 100% pleased with what you played. Geez, if we only posted what we were really happy with, we wouldn't have any music clips to listen to!

Oh - nice Dalek!
Yeah, I know what you mean about getting it out there. I still want to make sure anything I put out is at least "good enough" for my tastes - I'll never have the speed of Yngwie Malmsteen nor the "fingers" of David (not Dave) Gilmour, but I figure if I can get something done tastefully, I'll be OK with that.

And cheers :beer: on the Dalek - it is amazing how often that gets recognized...I thought it would be ignored more than it is, but about every second gig I get a comment.

I'm forming an all-Dalek band.

The only issue so far is lack of hands.

:rofl:

So...I have found a solution to my lack of modulation in the effects loop - I remembered I had a Line 6 MM4 laying around unused - the main pedalboard effects were either just as good, or more practical for use, so the MM4 got shelved. It works wonderfully in the effects loop of the Archon. I had seen some posts online that the Line 6 4-button stomps like the MM4 didn't like being in the effects loop of certain amps (Soldano comes to mind), but the Archon takes it quite happily. So I have a chorus, flanger, tremolo, and Rotary Speaker on tap now. Yay!

Back