N5D: My *Second* SC 594 Prototype, believe it or not!

congrats Pete, those are awesome!!!

I dare say I like #2...

Okay by me if you like #2! ;)

I was playing the new one for a while today, and said to myself "wow, I think I like this better than the first one!" - but then I played the first one, that one still edges out the new one for feel for me. But they are pretty darn close, and there are some things that I really appreciate the new one, I am feeling pretty happy to have them both!

[QUOTE="kes7u, post: 324450, member: 6387"
My midlife crisis was Hookers and Blow....:eek: To each their own, I suppose!
[/QUOTE]

If ya gotta have one, that's the fun way to go.

Shopping for guitars is fun, but...not THAT much fun. :)

Pete, I think you're out of your gourd, but in a most excellent way.

I really love both of those prototypes.

Twins separated at birth, reunited! ;)

IMG_0998_zpsvdgqamy0.jpg

IMG_0999_zpsqmaeukup.jpg

IMG_1001_zpsas00upvw.jpg

Dig those "Blade Knots" Inlays!
Gongrats Pete, double awesomeness equal double the tonal bliss, let's see which one will edge the other for you

Another beauty Pete! From a looks perspective, I would give my nod to the first one. I love the curly maple binding that PRS puts along the fretboard and sometimes the headstock.

Pete, I think you're out of your gourd, but in a most excellent way.

Ha! Well, I am just getting started with the next chapter of the adventure. Stay tuned for some further madness!! ;)

Another beauty Pete! From a looks perspective, I would give my nod to the first one. I love the curly maple binding that PRS puts along the fretboard and sometimes the headstock.

Agree with that. First one is more "fancy" in a Private Stock sort of way, when you look down at the neck, the Maple Binding on the headstock really jumps out, and also neck binding is a brighter light color with a more pronounced flame, versus the yellow tint on the Maple binding tones it down on the second one, and there isn't any on the headstock on the second one. The "Glow" finish on the first one is very much a PRS thing and very cool, whereas the Burst finish on the second one is very classic, as is the Cherry back. I upgraded the first one to Hybrid Hardware, which also gives it more of a dressed up Private Stock look.

I am glad to have both! More tone reports on the guitars and pickups to follow as I get some more input from my local Forum friends...

Good time to be local. I'm only three Great Lakes away, which is sort of local in the grand scheme of things.

Well, considering that in 2013 NASA estimated that there are close to 40 billion earth-sized planets in the Milky Way alone, and we are 4.22 light years from Proxima Centauri, the nearest star, I'd say that in the greater scheme of things, you're neighbors.

Especially if you travel at the speed of light. ;)

I don't know man, it looks pretty plain and just doesn't seem that great. Allow me to take it off your hands to save you any further embarrassment :D.

Excellent as usual, enjoy in good health!!

N5D (New 594 Day!) - A second SC 594 Prototype! This one also through my "Guardian Angel of SC 594's", JD at Guitar Maverick. I can't believe it, I just feel very humbled and fortunate right now, I am so smitten with this model, and somehow these two incredible Prototypes made their way to me. (Thanks, JD!!)

So if you guys recall, I went through a pretty intense year of DC 594 obsession last year, and eagerly awaited the introduction of the SC 594 model. JD had the opportunity to get a Prototype SC 594 in early October, before the SC 594 model was announced, and he just knew that it had to be in my hands, I didn't even hesitate for a millisecond before telling him that of course I would take it. From the moment it arrived, it has been my favorite guitar EVER, an amazing instrument, and very special to me.

IMG_0032_zpssjsrs2bt.jpg

See my original NGD Post from last October here:

http://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...-private-stock-singlecut-594-prototype.20001/

Flash forward to last weekend at the Dallas Guitar Show, where JD became aware of another similar prototype SC 594 that was available, one that PRS had made for Rumbleseat Music, that Rumbleseat was selling. He again knew that I must have it, and called me right away.

So here it is, a Prototype SC 594 from the Private Stock team, very similar to my first one in spec, Mahogany Body and Neck, Brazilian Board and Veneer, and those gorgeous "Blade Knot" inlays that I love so much!

IMG_0992_zpsrhk0exaw.jpg

IMG_0985_zpsau7otn5i.jpg

IMG_0986_zpse7ccwhz1.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsl4rav1wz.jpg

IMG_0994_zps56zjeqyz.jpg

IMG_0995_zps0dp9zogz.jpg

IMG_0989_zps438uem9p.jpg

IMG_0993_zpswcodx0tk.jpg

It is a very interesting and awesome guitar, and in my mind very complementary to my existing Prototype!

They both have that "new" Semi-Gloss Nitro finish that I had never seen before my Prototype. I love it, makes it feel nice and worn in, like an old baseball glove.

The new one has a more "Vintage Vibe" with a less fancy top, and the Cherry back and a Burst finish versus a Glow finish makes it look much more like a Classic Singlecut sort of guitar. The Board and Veneer are a lot darker in tone/color. This one has the Maple Binding on the neck and body stained/tinted yellowish like the 2014 McCarty Singlecuts, and the 2016 Feb GOM DC 594. The finish is the same as the 2016 Feb GOM DC 594, "Vintage McCarty Burst". This one does not have the binding on the Headstock like the DC GOM, or the other Prototype. That also leads it to look more vintage, IMO.

It is freakishly light for an SC 594, about 8 pounds even. My other Prototype is 8.75 pounds, and most of mine have been 8.75 to just over 9.

Tone is FANTASTIC! I will comment on that more as I get more time with it.

The pickups are a mystery, they are custom wound PAF's PRS did for this guitar, simply inscribed with "Rumbleseat A" and "Rumbleseat B".

IMG_0987_zpscthlfuxj.jpg

They are killer PAF's perhaps a tad hotter than the LT's, but not much. I would bet they are somewhere in that classic PAF range of 8.5K bridge / 7.7K neck range, we shall see if I ever get them measured.

Thanks again JD, YOU ROCK for making sure yet another epic Prototype SC 594 got into my hands!! :)

And of course thank you Paul and Team for this amazing model, and another killer example of it from the Private Stock team!

-Pete

Was this one #99?

Was this one #99?

Yup! I told JD (and he told Paul) that this one is #100, thinking it was, but upon checking, it is indeed #99. #100 is a race between two PS SC 594's, one spec'ed in September, the other coming back across the Atlantic, held up by the "new" SITES paperwork headache. My bet is on the one across the pond. Either way, it will be a fitting #100! :)

100?!?!?!
As in a hundred PRSi?
...or a hundred PS PRSi?
...or a hundred 594s?!;)

Dang, that's impressive either way. I don't even have 100 posts!

Yes, 100 PRSi. Over 10 years. That is "only" an average of 10 per year! :)

20 of those are SC & DC 594's, and over 30 were SC and DC 245's/Ted's, so the short scale ones have really been the center of it all. (Just over half of them, it seems!)

Never more than 6-8 at a time, though! So in that regard I have much smaller collections than many others here. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway... ;)

You sir, are a fine environmentalist and human being in establishing a "catch and release" program.

Maybe some day, I will be able to net one of those elusive SC594s when you set it back free into the wild. I don't have a license so all I can do is illegally poach! Hopefully, the Stevensville fishery will be increasing stocking levels soon but you seem to have a secret fishing hole to catch the wildest and best ones.

Kudos to you and patiently waiting to see your #100...

Last edited:
Two amazing guitars, love the inlays. Would be curious to know how the Rumbleseat pickups compare to regular 58/15 or 57/08s.

Back