My first PS guitar.

I don’t remember the dots being gold. ? Dunno, and my office PC crashed so I can’t look it up. But the 2nd neck I’m referring to was a baseball bat (thickness), and the shop seller listed as “wide-thin.” That doesn’t add up.
Do you remember when it left your tenure?
I wonder if it had gone back to PRS after that to have more work done.
Going to message PRS about it next week and see if they have any further information.
All very interesting for sure.
From my quick noodle in it late Friday night I definitely would not say the neck was of the baseball bat variety!

Back home and whilst not yet had chance to measure the neck I did fire off a message to PRS with as much information as I think I know, lol, and let's see what they come back with.

Sounds like your friend Tom, had some real weight behind him to get that attention.

Quick measurement of the neck makes it to be as the seller stated in the listing so it gets interesting...

Woah!
It is WAY better in the "wood" than I imagined from the pictures.
The Solano Orange finish just literally sizzles that cannot be captured in pictures.
I absolutely love the look of the neck but the feel and playability of it is off the charts.
And the tone?
Makes everything else seem pedestrian I own...
Couple quick pictures before I hit the ZZZ shed!

What a fantastic get! That finish probably looks phenomenal under stage lights.

Hm, I would not have expected a private stock guitar to have a three piece body.

Just got this reply from PRS.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

We (I have consulted with our head of sales and private stock) do not have any knowledge or records of this guitar having two necks; therefore, we cannot confirm. Our records indicate the guitar was sold to a dealer in Texas. For privacy reasons, we are not able to disclose the dealer's information.

The private stock certificate states the neck originally had bird inlays. Though we do not replace the certificate ( My PRS guitar’s hang-tag/COA is missing; can I have a replacement made? ), please find the original specs below.

Serial# 4 CE 27255 is a 2004 Private Stock# 763 CE 24, with an East Coast Flame Maple top, Alder back, Rock Maple neck, Brazilian Rosewood fretboard with gold bird inlays, Brazilian Rosewood truss rod cover and headstock veneer with gold Private Stock eagle, PRS tremolo bridge, Dragon II treble and bass pickups, finished in Solana, with gold hardware.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your interest in PRS.

Have a great day,
Beth
Customer Service
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666

I remember in the way back times of Birds and Moons when 11-top posted about it, there were definitely two necks. One with the brz fretboard and one with a maple fretboard. I remember because I was (am) a huge (old style) CE24 fan. I immediately turned around and asked PRS if they'd make me just a neck with birds and a maple board that I could swap onto one of my CE24s and they told me hellz no.

I remember in the way back times of Birds and Moons when 11-top posted about it, there were definitely two necks. One with the brz fretboard and one with a maple fretboard. I remember because I was (am) a huge (old style) CE24 fan. I immediately turned around and asked PRS if they'd make me just a neck with birds and a maple board that I could swap onto one of my CE24s and they told me hellz no.
Right now it's a bit of a mystery as I can only go with what I'm told and unfortunately it seems to be conflicting information.

But it doesn't detract from what a fantastic axe this is.

Anything else in the way of information is just gravy!

Thinking on this is a little disconcerting.

If it did indeed have two necks but now does not...
Did they both have same PS# and signature?
So is it possible some unscrupulous person could attempt to create a fake PS guitar?
Very unlikely but intrigued as to what happened to the other neck .

And a follow up reply from PRS when I inquired how this neck then got gold dots instead of birds basically said they have no record of this guitar serial number ever being returned to PRS for any work ever.
So the plot thickens as @11top said he didn't remember either neck having gold dots.

Ho hum...

It's been like 15 years since he posted it on BAM but I'm almost positive both necks had birds because old style CEs with birds give me chub. Maybe the fretboard was changed by a 3rd party for some reason?

It's been like 15 years since he posted it on BAM but I'm almost positive both necks had birds because old style CEs with birds give me chub. Maybe the fretboard was changed by a 3rd party for some reason?
The seller claimed it was done by PRS but PRS say they have no record of that.
I have emailed the seller back a short while ago but not heard anything back again yet.

No worries @11top .
That's actually quite a relief to be honest as I was starting to get a little worried.

So I just have the question left of how it ended up with dots instead of birds but I'm sure I will get to the bottom of that too.
Appreciate the information!

I don't want to add fuel to the fire but is it normal for a private stock instrument to have a three piece body like OP's? The one posted by @11top sure seems to have a one piece body to me.

I know my 91 CE has a two piece body, but it's an alder one, center seam, and solid color. And it's not Private Stock.

Back