My first Private Stock HollowBody II wondering if it’s the right choice

rcmowdy

Hi,

There was a time when I just didn’t like PRS’s. I know it’s me, not the guitars. I had a HollowBody II charcoal burst and a black gold ten top custom 24. Well, eventually I sold them. Now I’m full of the other brands of guitars, and I’m frankly getting tired of them, so I thought I’d give PRS another try. Now this was serendipitous I mean pure dumb luck. I found a Joe Knaggs 2001 private stock HollowBody II tiger eye, Brazilian rosewood, 24k gold, I mean the works. And the price is perfectly reasonable. Almost too good to be true. Now, I’ve only paid the layaway but I’m 99.99% sure I’m paying the rest off probably tomorrow. I have the money so no worries there. In all of your expert opinions, keep in mind I don’t know hardly anything about PRS’s, do you think this is a very rare and great find? I understand, without any other details or specs, my question is convoluted but I truly want to give Paul Reed Smith guitars another chance. I would disclose the price, but please someone tell me if I’m allowed to do that. I’d be happy to tell you all exactly what I’m paying. It’s quite a lot of money but frankly, I just ran with it. Incidentally, I noticed on a British website selling practically the same thing for an astronomical amount compared to my payment.......are we talking 10k+ here or am I just way off? And It’s just that we’ve heard that if it’s too good to be true it probably is. I’m skeptical. And to make this trip wilder, I actually randomly found the people/company that sold it to those (a major corporation) I’m buying it from. Anyway, sorry for my overly verbose thread, I’m half excited and half sort of worried. Well, if anyone wants to chime in please do so. I hope this will also be the start of my enjoyment of Mr. Smith’s guitars. Take care, Ryan.

It sounds like an excellent spec to me.
Tiger Eye was a popular colour choice in that time frame, because it is awesome.
Brazilian rosewood was easier to come by and gold inlays go really well with that package - I have a single cut along those lines.

And a PRS hollowbody is a great guitar.

Difficult to answer without all the information but PRS do make an excellent Hollowbody - I have a regular core HBii and love it. As for UK prices, they are very high in general and include 20% V.A.T as well. On top of that, used PRS's are not all that common (especially HB's and PS) and tend to hold their prices very well. They are also imported so have that cost on top. I am constantly stunned by the prices I see on US sites for PRS - new and used. Its probably a good thing I don't live in the US - hard to resist temptation at those prices!!

The one HB II Private Stock I saw sell went for 10k USD second hand, so that's not unheard of.

EHwDGCTUwAAy_L0

Well, it appears that I got really lucky. Am I allowed to disclose the price? Let’s just say 50% of the typical price. I definitely want to make sure that I ain’t getting rooked. I doubt it. But you never can be too sure. Now I have all the information specs, description, etc., but it’s from another website. Which incidentally, was the original owner/vendor who sold it to the “big” company I bought it from.

I did email PRS customer support with the complete description and serial number. I have not as yet heard back from them. When does customer support usually, on average, respond?

Well, it appears that I got really lucky. Am I allowed to disclose the price? Let’s just say 50% of the typical price. I definitely want to make sure that I ain’t getting rooked. I doubt it. But you never can be too sure. Now I have all the information specs, description, etc., but it’s from another website. Which incidentally, was the original owner/vendor who sold it to the “big” company I bought it from.

I did email PRS customer support with the complete description and serial number. I have not as yet heard back from them. When does customer support usually, on average, respond?
All that matters is that you are happy with the price.
Private Stocks are tricky to price because there is a measure of fashion involved. Used prices are generally a big drop off of original list. It’s always good to find one that matches your taste.

You are fine to tell us the price, I don’t get why that would be a problem.

I paid $1,895 for a used 2012 DGT Standard back in 2016, it was dead mint. I stole it!

Back