More Slobbery Archon Praise

rising farce

I just wanted to take a moment to pen a panegyric to my Archon 100. Since purchasing it last summer, I’ve tried (and owned) quite a few other high-end heads, among them an EVH 5150S “Stealth,” an Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII, a Rivera Knucklehead K Tre and KR7, an Engl Powerball II and a Laney TI100. But while some of those amps offered more features, gain and/or low end than the Archon, none could match its fantastic tone, playability and ease of use. Put simply, it does everything I need it to do, and nothing I don’t.

As an unapologetic metal-head, I’m hopeful that PRS will develop additional ultra-high-gain amps in the mold of the Archon—a three-channel version, perhaps, or a take on the ever-popular hot-rodded-Marshall formula. But for now, the original Archon has found a permanent place in my gear arsenal.

It's awesome when you find a piece of gear that works for you... Leaves more money for guitars.

Nice endorsement, I hope these amps continue to perform well for players and for PRS in the market and stay in their lineup long term. Super bonus points for the phrase "pen a panegyric", lol.

Nice endorsement, I hope these amps continue to perform well for players and for PRS in the market and stay in their lineup long term. Super bonus points for the phrase "pen a panegyric", lol.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm a magazine editor "in real life," so I consider the occasional outburst of sesquipedalianism to be an occupational hazard.

Um, seriously? You cannot use words like panegyric on a Friday evening. Wow

:vroam:

Yeah, well supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Or something...

But yeah, I'm loving my Archon too! I did some back-to-back with my Fender HRDX mini-stack (I know Les, not your favorite) last night, comparing clean channels. I set the Archon to basically "noon" for everything except Master Volume (about 10 or 11 o'clock), brightness "on", and tweaked the HRDX until I got the same overall tonality (i.e. brightness, presence, volume, etc). The Archon sounded so much sweeter, there was no comparison. It has that sparkle and almost vowel-like tone that sounds soooo good.

Now the HRDX does that ragged Fender sound rather well, and takes pedal quite well on the clean channel, so I won't get rid of it, it will be a useful tool in the arsenal (weapon in the shed? hoe in the toolbox?) (Not that kind of hoe!).

Yes, Archon's rock. And not just those extremes of sparkly cleans and awesome high-gain chug, but that light-breakup slightly overdriven bluesy tone too, and all that other stuff in between.

Back