More Rosewood Neck care questions

LJD

(for my 2012 HBII Artist with RW neck and ebony fretboard)
I know there are similar threads, but regarding the PRS website information I have some questions. It recommends using the PRS fretboard conditioner (lemon oil) and then "sealing" it with furniture polish. Can anyone explain what's happening with the sealing stage, and what kind of polish?
Also, are there any "don'ts" with the rosewood neck (any materials or oils/polishes, etc.) that could harm it? I use Fast Fret (white mineral oil?) on my fretboards. Is it dangerous for the same rag to be used in general wipe down of the guitar? Would Fast Fret be ok for the neck?
Thanks

Mineral oil will build up a lot of goo on your fingerboard and attract dirt, which is the opposite of what you want. I wouldn't use it, YMMV.

I tried a mineral oil based "conditioner" (not fast-fret) on a fingerboard of an acoustic I owned many years ago, and found that it tended to swell the wood near the frets. Honestly, in the 70s and 80s I learned the hard way that some of the products on the market should simply be avoided.

I probably screwed up more guitars taking "care" of them than by just playing them!

The lemon oil is for cleaning. I think PRS uses Behold polish at the factory on the fingerboards after cleaning to give them a nice slick feel (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Back