Modern Eagle V vs Studio

I have not compared them with the exception of in my head. The narrow fields won't sound as full as the Eagle humbucker. So depending on what sound you want out of the front pickup would help you make the decision. I am interested in both guitars personally. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom which is thick with pickups that breakup fast. Moving slightly right, is my PRS 594 which is a more balanced Les Paul which I prefer over my Gibson 90% of the time. Then the latest Gibson 335 Figured Red with the calibrated pickups. They don't breakup as much and are brighter pickups. After that I have a Tele and a Strat. So would I prefer a Eagle or Studio based on my setup? The Studio has the same back pickup as my 594, and the front pickup thinner. So based on my setup, I think I would prefer the Eagle.

I actually own both guitars (WL MEV pre-core and a 22 core Studio) and LOVE them both. If I had to choose, I like the feel of the Studio (slightly) better, but the sounds are different. Not to the point like a 594 to a SS, but if I had to describe it, the MEV might be a bit brighter and can get real close to all sounds you are looking for. In MY opinion, it is pretty much the can do anything guitar because the multiple combinations of sounds. It's insane. Let us know what you decide...if you haven't already. I actually like the sounds from both guitars, but based on "feel", I tend to lean towards the Studio, which also can produce outstanding sounds!

Any guitar can be used to play ANY song - the 'music' is the most 'important' and a 'guitar' is a tool to get your 'music' out to your audience. It doesn't matter if its played on an expensive or cheap instrument, with SC's or HB's etc - its just a 'different' tone, a different flavour to the 'notes', the melody etc. As long as the instrument is stable, stays in tune, and you can play it in time, the rest is pretty much personal preference.

Obviously, the MEv and Studio have some 'similar' options when taking 'generally', both have HB's and SC tones, but one has 'more' tonal options than the other. Both could be used to play the 'SAME' songs, even if the result sounds different due to different Pups - but not really different enough that one sounds 'amazing' in a Mix and the other sounds 'Awful' and I bet your audience won't notice - especially in a Mix.

To me, it comes down to whether YOU would prefer a guitar that offers '17' potential pickup selection choices or just '7'. They have 'different' pups, so will sound 'different' when compared dry side by side, but when you have your Amp dialed in and whatever Pedals you like, in a mix with Bass, Drums, Keys/Rhythm, Vocals etc), it really doesn't matter so much.

As I said, what matters most is the 'music'. That's what your audience will respond to and won't really 'care' as long as the 'music' is good (everyone in tune and in time with each other) and you are playing confidently. It doesn't matter if I prefer the 'MEv' because it offers basically the same range of options, albeit in a slightly different 'flavour' (B, B+M, M, M+N, N - where the Bridge can be either HB or SC) - but also have '10' more tonal choices as I can use ALL 3 pickups and both Neck/Bridge Pups (like a Les Paul) together and 'each' 1 of the pick-up selection positions offers 'multiple' sounds. Whether I 'prefer' the NF's to MEv's 'Single Coil' sounds is irrelevant, I do, but I'd still prefer to have the MEv over a Studio because the MEv has 'more' options, in a mix, it will still sound AMAZING. If I want some 'double HB tones, or HB neck tones, I can't get those from a Studio but I can get HSS tones from a MEv.

That being said, if I was 'recording' and wanted the NF tones in the Studio specifically, I'd certainly get a Studio.

I don't have 'either' right now myself - that's mostly because I have a hard time justifying 'either' right now as I have a 509 (can be set to HSS or SSS like the Studio) and that does give me a 'middle' Pup if I want a SC middle tone and I also have a Special Semi-Hollow - Also can be HSS and has a NF middle (although can't be used on its own). As I am not 'recording' or 'gigging', It's hard to justify a 'different' flavour that's not really going to make a 'huge' difference to the music.

The point I am trying to make is that 'my' preferences and opinions are 'worthless' to you because your preferences, needs/wants etc could be very different to mine. You may find the Studio to be the 'better' option for you, suits your playing style, your music, your 'band', your Amp/pedals etc better. At the end of the day, as long as the Music is the most important factor, the 'tool' you use to make it is just your preference. If you are 'happy', chances are your audience will be too regardless of which Guitar you are using (as long as its in tune and comfortable for you to play).

You are correct. Opinions are just that. That's why so many people prefer different brands, models, etc. Obviously, if you have the ability to play them first, that would be the way to go. I never had that opportunity and bought my guitars cold off the web. I ended up loving 95% of them and all the cores.

The Studio has eluded me until the past couple weeks. Never really paid attention to any of the reviews. Now I am wanting to buy one. I see a lot of Moderns but not very many Studios. Seen a video of a Gold Top and now looking for one.

I have never played either, but I believe someone mentioned a couple of years ago, that on the studio, the middle pick up interfered a bit with their strumming whereas on the ME V it did not.

Played them side by side for an hour plus each through many Fractal FM3 channels.

Both fantastic guitars, let me say that out the gate.

Yeah, they are different animals altogether, and it gets down to preference and needs.

In my opinion:

MEV: 17 different guitar tones that I could NOT hear all of unless I buy the guitar and play it at home, period. Even if I bought it, I’d be a bit overwhelmed. It sounds beautiful, but MY needs and ability don’t call for 17 settings.

Studio: 7 different sounds, some were great, some were good, but again, the necessity for that many sounds, for ME and MY playing ability….I couldn’t find it.

This answer probably doesn't matter since the question was asked so long ago. But I'll say this:

I'm a long-time fan of the Studio, I own a 2012 model that's a freakin' phenomenal guitar. Its forte is being an HSS guitar that doesn't wimp out when you switch from the bridge humbucker to the other pickups. I do love it for that.

For contrast, I'll mention the Paul's Guitar. I have a 2012 rendition and I love the sound and switching on that guitar. I think the "single-coil" sounds on that guitar are more single-coil sounding than on the Studio.

I love 'em both, and that brings me to the MEV. If you want to switch between humbucking and single-coil sounds and want one guitar to sound both Gibson-like and strat-like the MEV is the way to go. Of the 3 right now the MEV is my favorite.

This answer probably doesn't matter since the question was asked so long ago. But I'll say this:

I'm a long-time fan of the Studio, I own a 2012 model that's a freakin' phenomenal guitar. Its forte is being an HSS guitar that doesn't wimp out when you switch from the bridge humbucker to the other pickups. I do love it for that.

For contrast, I'll mention the Paul's Guitar. I have a 2012 rendition and I love the sound and switching on that guitar. I think the "single-coil" sounds on that guitar are more single-coil sounding than on the Studio.

I love 'em both, and that brings me to the MEV. If you want to switch between humbucking and single-coil sounds and want one guitar to sound both Gibson-like and strat-like the MEV is the way to go. Of the 3 right now the MEV is my favorite.
Hey, I answered late first!🤣

The Studio had a thick neck carve I loved, and there was a setting with the Tone up and a a position that I could’ve stayed on for-everrrrrr

The MEV had sounds I liked in what I heard (and it was nowhere near all of them) except one, and it was both switches and tone up in 3rd position: not horrible but tinny and couldn’t see what I could do with it….again, MY problem, not the axe’s!

Man, those two beauties….again: love them, but just beyond ME…glad you are able to make them work for you!

I have both and there are more differences than similarities.
The Studio just sounds amazing without much fiddling around.
The MEV needs some fiddling to find which positions sound better.
The MEV pickups are hotter and more aggressive.
The NF on the Studio sounds more melodic.
The Studio also sounds more vintage especially with the 58/15 LT bridge pickup.
The MEV can do single coil type sounds better! Although I wish the middle single coil pickup sounded beefier. PRS should have used a Silver Sky pickup here.

But if I had to only keep one, it would be the Studio!

closest store open 24 hours

I have both and there are more differences than similarities.
The Studio just sounds amazing without much fiddling around.
The MEV needs some fiddling to find which positions sound better.
The MEV pickups are hotter and more aggressive.
The NF on the Studio sounds more melodic.
The Studio also sounds more vintage especially with the 58/15 LT bridge pickup.
The MEV can do single coil type sounds better! Although I wish the middle single coil pickup sounded beefier. PRS should have used a Silver Sky pickup here.

But if I had to only keep one, it would be the Studio!

closest store open 24 hours
Thank you for this: will go try both again soon!

Back